Camdale layout

aussietmrail

Thanks for your comments, i sit with 3 of these on my bench at work,download.jpg.b1df1d4eb19bba7e07c1b0d5765714cb.jpg

it would be little over the top for anything  at home!!

My own  home DMM only has 4 digits not the 9 on the one above!!

How long do you reckon it will take to assemble your layout for a running session? Will you leave it up for several  a days ? if you wish to run it on consecutive days.

Although modular i will be able to leave my layout assembled. 

Time to do some more wiring.....

Morning The Q, ,no worries, the pic of your trannies , nice what brand is it, never seen it I was looking for a forth trannie so each throttle have their own, cheap enough now under $100, the only problem having so many trannies when I do change over to DCC, what t do with them.

That is a good question I don't know, will have to wait till the layout is built, but I am switching all my bolt nuts to wing nuts to speed up the setting up time, bus, signals and point motors be plug and play, you go back to the last page where I have the pic of the wire stripper the connected to the switch is what I be using on the bus wires, the other wires I be using a computer plug already. Already got leads wired up  with computer plugs, I have on paper what colour wire pairs up with each number on the plug.

It will depend on the weather if I leave the station modules set up, car port modules and bridge as the pergola is till open to nature not fully closed in be nice if it was, I would leave that part of the layout set up for the next day of running, the rest of the layout outside be packed up, designed the curved sections that they come together like a jigsaw and only two screws, even outside is marked and permeant bricks where the legs go., legs fold up in under the module and curved sections..

Is it Saturday in the UK.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead

Hi Stese, sorry for not replying last night I  was locked out of my browser windows10 edge took to this morning to find out why the problem with win 10  they don't let you know there is an update in progress which was the cause thanks to my smart wife saving the day.

Trannie is a power supply (transformer) short for transformer what we call them in OZ.

Good to see you back, how is the progress going on your layout ??

It is raining here be like this all week outside is out, good time to do the bus wiring on the station modules, today I have to make a mini panel on the model to house the bus wire plugs which be a slide  up panel hold the single LEDS and point motors and lighting on the station platforms, takes time working on your own, especially being a module garden railway.

Tony from wet down under keeping on moving ahead.

Hi Stese, not I should of explained want  trannie was,, no worries.

Can't wait to see the pcs of your track plan and the area you be putting the layout.

I had another good day working on the layout building a mini plug panel for the bus plugs, points, LEDs, and lighting  worked out well need two  more big improvement on the ones I made on the old module layout, just got to make sure there is enough wire for movement of the panel, will be the same where the bus wires connect to the control panel, now I can start wiring the bus wires on the second module.

Every module and curved sections have one of these panels.

I already have the leads made up for the 25way computer plus, doesn't take long to solder the wires to the plugs, yes I have colour codes on each lead.

tony from down under keeping on moving ahead.

001  a.jpg

002   a.jpg

003  a.jpg

Had a very good day with the electrical department, I finished the bus wiring on the second station module, the pics show how I soldered the feeder wires to the bus wires using heat shrink instead of electrical tape much better neater and quick as well, the new wire stripper made it a lot quicker especially stripping the wire mid stream.

Pic one is how I soldered the feeder wire to the bus wire and punched a hole in the piece of heat shrink, then I moved the heat shrink over the soldered wire to the centre and used the soldering iron to shrink the heat shrink and continued on  to the next. I then paired off the bus wire and twisted them together clamped the module on its side and from underneath pushed the  feeder wires through too easy, pic three is the feeder wires ready to be soldered to the tack the bus wire panel in an out, pic 5 at the other end of the module the bus wires have to be cut to size  when the third module plug panel is done, never ending.

In the afternoon I will finish off the first station module bus wiring.

001  a.jpg

002  a.jpg

003  a.jpg

004  a.jpg

005  a.jpg

006  a.jpg

Have finely finished wiring two of the station modules can now move onto the third station module , will take a lot  longer to finish will have two bus wire plug panels second panel connecting to the control panel be twice the size and in the middle of the module be 11 plugs on it and  be about 4 25way computer plugs.

Pics one and two is the finished feeder wires soldered to the track which I have down to a fine art now, didn't take long to solder, last three pics are the bus wires connected to the plug panel,, the last two pics I have the wire colours the same as the plug connectors making it easier and faster to connect the wires , true plug and play , is coming together nicely .

Not going to run the first test loco to I finish the spiral corner module , spiral and approach module car port end , lots to keep me busy.

Cyclone Debbie has passed us by we only copped local flooding not as bad as some areas did still some of our rivers still haven't peaked yet in the SE/QLD and northern NSW down as far as Lismore what makes it scary is you don't know what is in the dirty  water a Bull shark was  found on a road. a big hit on face book.

It is a nice sunny morning here in SE/QLD great day for working on the layout, yard needs a mow after all that rain pus shrubs need tiding up as well.

Tony from sunny down under keeping on moving ahead.

001 a.jpg

002  a.jpg

003  a.jpg

004  a.jpg

005  a.jpg

Another latest update on the layout, I finely filled the gap on the spiral decking yesterday and rebuilt the spiral module frame needed o as the module had a bow in it not in the middle on half of the module now fixed, not ready for painting, I need to sort out the new legs cut them 5mm's too long and I want to cut off 7/8ths of  an inch, to with Sydney Central station . I m0oved the legs into the frame of the module so legs are out of the way when storing the module, the way I had it before made it hard  and was for ever falling over couldn't level it on its side now I can. and not so heavy to  pick up as well.

The piece I cut out fitted in after the curve with the double track on the pathway close to the pergola , only 2feet in length, the shortest track decking.

The first two pics are of the spiral decking, all I need to do now is cut the 4ft radius curve off the end of the large S bend, competing all the decking to the back of the layout , once that is all done start on the massive double deck cable stay bridge, wont be competing the two decks till later only the rail deck and framing for the cables, using 5mm dowel, the actual bridge uses two cables be too hard to model.

Tomorrow I be getting the wood lathe out to turn a couple of pens keeping  my turning skills up as the next project going to be a weather station with three weather instruments and one side of the square wood block blank, the block be on an angle, wont be back on the layout till next weekend , busy week.to finish the bus wire plug module panels .

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead.

001  a.jpg

002  a.jpg

003  a.jpg

004  a.jpg

Had a busy day yesterday on the layout working on the front spiral corner module and did achieve a lot took the legs off and recut them was having trouble joining the module to the station first module, have decided to yet again modify the corner module by cutting it back a  foot on the suburban track turning that line into a bridge and cutting 18inches of the temporary mainline on the western side of the module. The next plan is to join that 18inch piece to the 30inch piece of lift out ply top on the first station module, in pic 3 where the tape measure is that section lifts out

Today I will be pulling the track off where the corner module be cut back and joining up the two modules  soldering the fish plates to the track so I can lift out the track on the first station module, being thinking about doing this for a while until yesterday when I was having trouble, the new lift out section be 4feet long and come off when storing the first station module making it lighter to pick up.

How has every ones Easter going so fay, have a great Easter, sadly I wont have half of the layout up and running as planned by April aiming for the end of June, wiring is taking a lot longer.

Tony from cool down under keeping on moving ahead

001 a.jpg

002  a.jpg

003  a.jpg

How as every ones Easter break I had a busy two days on the layout, some big changes happening on the spiral corner module and first station module, instead of having to much  module tops I decided to modify the two modules to make way for two rail bridges over a 6 lane land road, bus lane and pathway tunnels both sides of the road will look heaps better, the suburban rail bridge will have three arches.

The spiral module I will  module I will replace the pine sides with 100mmx12mm ply sides this weekend so the road can be screwed to underneath the corner module, will be changing the way the first curve decking of the spiral bolts to the  corner module as well.

Since I be modelling two station scenes on my station modules I will post East Perth terminal first and  what I have planned  modelling Sydney next post..

Fist pic looking down the two modules, second pic you can see the piece of ply with the new piece added on, that will change because I bought an off cut piece of ply to replace it cutting it out today, third of East Perth Station, where the station is going and how the third track is laid down for Sydney's suburban first platform being an island platform worked out well for East Perth's suburban  island platform..

More pics to follow after the  weekend , planning a four track staging yard till the second stage of the station complex are build then I can stat on Sydney Central station building huge job ahead, the EP station building will look pretty close to the real building.

003  a.jpg

004  a.jpg

5760489  a.jpg

Part two of modifying the first station module and spiral corner module, the first two pics are what I be modelling with the arches of the road 3 lanes both  sides and a bus lane works out 20 inches wide big span will look good when finished being wanting to do this for ages till I was having trouble bolting the two modules together a lot more work but worth it in the end.

The next two sets of pics of the bus lane I be modelling .will need lots more buses and people can buy them in packs of 500, the last two pics  are of with the lift out section out showing the access path way to the suburban platforms and long distance platforms, looking at the last pic bottom left hand side is what I have planned, going to be pure awesome  instead of just having modules joined together...

Enjoy the pics, Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead.

001  a.jpg

IMG_0742  a.jpg

002 a.jpg

PICT0030  a.jpg

005  a.jpg

cf668f4a5ccf9502beabc4ed7d48330cfaa3dcab  a.jpg

I have a new project looming once the layout is up and running, I found a line drawing of a RORO ship I am going to model, my mode be a water line model will just fit under the bridge by 3inches in height, I changed the water line height clearance on my bridge to 12 inches was 9inches, plan to put down a blue tarp for the water and stick the boat it there be a back scene as well with those wind turbines in the background.

Do I start a new thread on this project.

Yesterday I spent working on the lift out section on the first station module, want to get it finished so I can repaint and put the track an wiring back on, going to be an awesome scene with the added road scene where I modified the corner spiral module to a rail bridge, I be cutting the front side of the module and it be screwed onto the lift out section, will see in the first pic why, can see the access road to the platforms in the background behind the first shop, go back to the last post and second last pic .

The ply underneath the  first station module be  a full piece with the road in as well, be done where the bottom section clamp in place a module in its own right., the path way goes up on an angle as well I maked out the arch on the building as well ready to cut later, the arch in the first pic.

The next lot of pics are of the ship and bridge, more progress after lunch on the station module, enjoy the pics

IMG_0870  a.jpg

02large  a.jpg

76813662  a.jpg

Caroline-Russ-990533  pic 2.jpg

1643322.jpg

image.jpg

I have a new project looming once the layout is up and running, I found a line drawing of a RORO ship I am going to model, my mode be a water line model will just fit under the bridge by 3inches in height, I changed the water line height clearance on my bridge to 12 inches was 9inches, plan to put down a blue tarp for the water and stick the boat it there be a back scene as well with those wind turbines in the background.

Do I start a new thread on this project.

Yesterday I spent working on the lift out section on the first station module, want to get it finished so I can repaint and put the track an wiring back on, going to be an awesome scene with the added road scene where I modified the corner spiral module to a rail bridge, I be cutting the front side of the module and it be screwed onto the lift out section, will see in the first pic why, can see the access road to the platforms in the background behind the first shop, go back to the last post and second last pic .

The ply underneath the  first station module be  a full piece with the road in as well, be done where the bottom section clamp in place a module in its own right., the path way goes up on an angle as well I maked out the arch on the building as well ready to cut later, the arch in the first pic.

The next lot of pics are of the ship and bridge, more progress after lunch on the station module, enjoy the pics

Had  great weekend  in the construction gang finished the rebuild of the spiral corner module and the first station module ready to repaint and back into laying the  track and bus wiring, as usual ran out of time, didn't get a chance to make the brackets to hold the bus wire plugs. Not a lot of room I will replace the piece of ply with angle line on the temporary  mainline bridge, will have give my wife a break for the noise of the circular saw for a while now, it it going to take a while to finely complete the two modules, then I get back to finishing the bus wire panel on th e last station model, two more panels to cut out.

The first pic is of the scale drawing of the rail bridge road arches, 22inch span, next two pics  the finished road arch , can't reline the inside of the pedestrian and road arches till I do the bus wiring, pic 5 is the bus wiring plugs now that took some thought and work needs plaster to fill in the gaps, final pic is looking down on the module, i was a challenge to build the arches as the track bed is on an angle and road straight not bad first time building an arch, you will see  on the left of the pic  is th double track main line  where I be replacing the piece of ply with angle line, the track to the right of the pic was a challenge as well but worked out fine on a big high, getting closer.

The suburban front module will join onto this module with the next arch covering the bus wire switches., that's the plan.

Mick I had an error and ended up having to submit the post before this one, no idea what happened.

001a.jpg

003 a.jpg

004  a.jpg

005  a.jpg

006  a.jpg

Hi Thomas,

Thanks ,going to be good when the other half of the bridge arches are finished and joined together, so much work still ahead the wiring taking up most of it, no more changes, I still have to level the module, cut the legs and screw on hinges, Friday I be moving back the block the first leg was sitting was only one leg having two legs and a bigger concrete block.

In between all that I  need to make a start on the  main control panel using three pole 4 position rotary switches to switch the throttles, one position become DCC .

Did you see the plugs I am using for bus wiring being a larger wire, running out of wire fast, they are actual speaker plugs, got the idea from seeing a Hornby controller had them on it and cheap to buy, the point motors, signals and lighting be using the 25 way computer plug, they have come down in price as well.

Tony from dry down under keeping on moving ahead.

I have finely finished the rebuild of the spiral corner module, ran out of time still need to drill the holes and countersunk them for quarter inch bolts and screw in place the hinges Friday and paint the module, she is a lot lighter to pick up  and hasn't got that bow in it, also replaced the one leg at the spiral end with two legs and levelling  two brick bases, going to screw in place a piece of ply so the module will sit on the same place every time.

Pics one and two when I cut out the second half o the arches fort he suburban rail bridge this area is going to be pure awesome, yes I plan to have working traffic lights where the bus is an intersection be the same at the other end of the road in front of Sydney Central station I am modelling lots of work ahead . The second bridge is part of the East Perth terminal scene, the unpainted piece of ply lifts out, the second bridge become the tram bridge and iit has a curved bridge, I will work on this are after the layout is up and running.

Third last pic is the start of the spiral where the module and curve section meet I don't think I be able to line up the track, improved how the module join and spiral join meet and has shifted the curved section leg  by 3 inches, the spiral be the next job to do, wont be having the lower level track base as low now , be 4 inch clearance depending on the ramp after the spiral ,  raised the bridge height underneath clearance to 13 inches so my RORO ship will fit in under it, not much clearance  about 2 inches.

Last pic is of the light colour ply piece that lifts out when Sydney Central station is set up replacing with a curved a single track tram bridge, becoming a second circuit to the layout, on a big high layout is coming along well.

001 a.jpg

002 a.jpg

003 a.jpg

004  a.jpg

Hi Tony

Given the range of temp you have over there do you need to do anything special to deal with track or even base board expansion?

I try to leave expansion gaps when laying track but cool days or hot days theres always one that pops out . Of course then Murphys law applies and that its always in the most akward place possiable or you find that the track wont fit back because its either to long or to short now !

Any tips?

Happy days

Jim

Evening Jim, yes I should be doing what a lot of you guys are doing with the ply wood, coating the wood with tar paint, I am not doing that just under coating the ply, I have just seen in Bunning plastic wood quite wide as usual it is expensive, this is the reason why my layout is modular for layout isn't permeant for the ply wouldn't last a month in the summer conditions, it happened to Roy from the Blue Mountains NSW the main fear timber rotting caused from humidity, is taking me a lot longer to build , got to get a move on to see a the first test train run around the spiral into the station modules. exciting day end of June. rest of the layout before Christmas this year.

Yes a big must having those  expansion gaps I have them on every piece of track especially close to the points, nothing worse than having to replace a point or double slip crossover, back to the modules this is why I have constructed the modules this way with 100 ply sides o stop the twisting and warping, I experienced that with the spiral corner module rebuilt it far better now. But with the fix up , luckily I was  changing the spiral anyway would have to now with the changing of the first spiral curve as well has moved the spiral 3 inches., be working on the spiral next I will be  .cutting strips of ply and screwing them to the curved sections to stop warping.

What is your summer months like have seen in the mid 30's you cop high humidity as well and lots of rain, our turn today raining all day, I be planning the control panel the project for today, got to make a start all that soldering ahead, to save on those DPDT spring loaded centre off switches thinking of the probe switching of points., the point motors furthest way will have point motors and signals.

In stead of using the Peco slide switch on in under the point motor going to use SPST slipe switch buy 3 or 4 for the price of the Peco slide switch to switch signals. and not lasting.