The Great (Gathering) Cock-up'

mick

From what I understand, those people who purchased the complete set of 6 A4 loco's in the Great Gathering collection were to receive matching certificates with each loco containing the same certificate number. I have just received my set of 6 certificates from Hattons this morning and each individual certificate bears a different number. I'm disappointed.

I don't blame Hattons entirely because it's the way that Hornby have done this that has caused the problem. The certificates should have been issued at the time the loco's were despatched but for some reason Hatton's were not aware that the certificates were not enclosed with the individual locos and had to send them out separately. In fact it seems that no-one really knew what was going on at the time.

Now I feel that my set has been devalued compared to those sets which have the full set of 6 'matching' certificate numbers and I am sure it has.

It's been a farce in my opinion from the beginning with retailers offering individual loco's for sale rather than it being kept strictly as a complete set of 6 'limited edition' issue and I always wondered what would happen with individual certificates split from sets and how it could all possibly be administered. The answer is it couldn't be administered correctly and it's now become 'The Great Cock-up'.

Awaiting a response from Hattons.

I've just received a prompt response from Hattons and their 'Retail Assistant' doesn't feel that a set with different numbered certificates would be devalued in their opinion but I beg to differ on that one. He has offered to replace the certificates I have been sent for a matching set which prompts another question..... If all the sets have been sold how come they still have certificates left over? And if they've been sending certificates out willy nilly, how come they are so sure they have a matching set available among them? I'm not going to be the only person contacting Hattons about this I'm sure.

This is rather farcical. I've been told that the reason why Hattons have certificates left over and are able to exchange them for ones with correctly matching numbers is that "some customers have not requested them to be sent as of yet".

So if you've purchased that Limited Edition loco at upwards of £136 or that complete set of 6 loco's at more than £800 and haven't received the Limited Edition certificate(s), it's your own fault because you haven't asked for it/them! They're supposed to come with the bloomin' locomotives!! :x