doublecee's digest

doublecee

Well, where do I start? Firstly, year one on this forum saw a huge influx of posts, updates and videos. Then.....? Nothing.

Of course, this is mostly down to the fact that I was working on a film that took up 5 months of the year and every available spare moment.

Add to that, as well as working on other peoples films, Im also trying to get my own off the ground. If I recall, I think I posted one video on Jan the first of 2013, and then a couple in June.... and thats about it. Quite a contrast to the year that preceded it.

Of course, Im always in the garden, as I like to have a smoke in the evening, so often check that buildings are all ok, and solders are in tact.

But one of the reasons I think my activity lessened was because I became increasingly aware that a neighbour was (quite literally) taking the p*ss out of me whenever I was in the back garden having a run. Im sure you know the score... Playing with his choo-choos etc etc.

Nothing really ever phases me, I work in an industry that relies heavily on criticism etc, and I take it on the chin, but something about that one snide comment just killed it for me this year. Whereas last year I would MAKE the time to have a run, this year I just couldnt muster up the desire as much.

Its a real shame, as having a garden run was a real tonic, as I could just switch off... no emails, deadlines etc. Just me having a bit of fun.

Anyway, this year is just as busy, if not busier. So I doubt you will be seeing that much of my garden. But I do have a new project to undertake out there and one that will give me a new feature that will no doubt be the focus of any new videos. A new station, on the other side of the garden, on a new loop. It will be based on the Scenecraft Sheffield park buildings and I hope that it will be quite pretty to look at as Live Steamers pound their way through.

Two winters in, and I see that many of the choices I made in terms of buildings and electricals were wise choices, but there are a few things I would change... so I hope to implement those lessons into this new loop and station. The biggest issue for me is UV bleaching from the sun. There is a slight but definate fade on all the buildings. With the Sheffield park stuff being so nicely textured, I need to ensure that this fade is abated.

Other than that, all is well. I have too much new stock to list. Some Bachmann, a lot of Hornby (who I am also doing a lot of work for at the moment ;) ). I hope to showcase some of the new stuff in the coming weeks. But from March onwards, I wont be around until at least August when we wrap on the latest film... by which point I cant think of nothing lovlier than just shutting out the real world and getting back to putting the "OO" back into "COOL"!

There is always going to be on jerk who tries to ruin your fun. A back garden should be a place where you can go hide and do whatever you feel like, sorry to hear the neighbor is being a jerk.

One big mistake I made was putting my trains in the front garden. I've had to overcome feelings of being ridiculed by passers by, but over time I've discovered most people are actually very pleased when they see the trains. Or, they just don't notice them. But to have someone that actually invests time in making fun of you, that's a whole other story.

There may be only one cure, call him over and engage him in conversation. Talk about how much stress life is and how glad you are that you have an outlet, then ask him if he has a way of relieving stress? In fact why not outright lie. he he he All straight faced and polite mind you. Tell him your job had you so stressed out that you were suicidal. Better yet, make up a story about your now dead twin brother who left you all his trains in his will. How the railway is a memorial to this dearly missed twin brother. After all Revenge is a dish best served cold. ;)

What movie have you been working on? I wish I had one to work on. Still writing my own screen plays mind you. Just no production work to speak of here, and I refuse to move to hollywood. The one I had been working on keeps calling me back for little jobs. I edited the feature, then they wanted a trailer, I've done two trailers, and now a music video from one of the musical scenes. http://www.theonewholovesyoumovie.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The most fun part was when the producer took me along to a festival in Paducah kentucky, got to go to nashville tennessee on that trip as well. I've never been that far south before and it was really fun. The best part was when I ended up in a biker bar at 1 am and the bikers were doing karoakie (sp?) to micheal jackson and other funk/disco tunes. Some of the old bearded bikers were even break dancing. I nearly died from laughter.