All aboard !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi every one,my name is Jon Blakeney (not Bakeney as was miss typed on my sing up,-----Can this spelling mistake be fixed up?)

Anyhow, today I have joined the group because permission has been granted 1,by my wife Joanne and 2,by my landlord John to build a backyard railway :D .

As we rent the house, the was no way to build a layout in a room and up till now a two level diorama was all I could build to scratch the train itch.

My wife actually let me run/ store it permanently on our TV unit (it's funny how the dementions of the diorama and TV unit JUST HAPPENED to be the same lol)

After trawling you tube ,I thought a garden railway might be the answer ,now It's on the cards some purchases have been made.

Two galvanized post holders for 100x100mm posts ( posts and cement to be bought soom) :lol:

String line and two string line spirit levels

Screws

A box of Peco track (cement sleeper type as I think this track will not get as hot as the dark wooden type in the hot Aussie summer) :roll:

I'm still unsure which way to go with the track bed,but may use a smaller version of FAULCONWOOD AND SPRINGBRIDGE RAILWAY as seen here and on you tube,

it looks bullet proof and as I have the same wildlife problems really stands out to me as the way to proceed.

I plan to have a double track main with at least one (mabe two) sidings /loops on eack main.

I love the American trains and at the moment have a 2/10/2 Santa Fe type Heritage proto 2000 steam loco which is for long coal rakes.

Three BLI PARAGON 2, BHP, GE AC 6000's (American power used here in the Pilbra ,Western Australia) to pull iron ore hoppers of which I am stocking up on as funds permit.

At the moment power is from my NCE Power cab,but ,I will be purchasing a 5 amp booster for outside running when the Power cab starts to struggle with the added track length.

Any way ,it's good to have found and joined this group,and I look forward to sharing my progress with you all,and the conversations we will have.

I will put up some pictures as the happen-----------------stay tuned lol.

Jon Blakeney

Sydney Australia.

jonblakeney said:

Hi every one,my name is Jon Blakeney (not Bakeney as was miss typed on my sing up,-----Can this spelling mistake be fixed up?)....

A magician? - and I've had to amend the username for you :? What kind of magician are you? :lol:

Username updated Jon and a very warm welcome to the forum! Looking forward to seeing things develop as, I'm sure, all other members of the forum will be too.

• 2 weeks later...

:D Hi all,My route has been chosen,a few holes have been dug,and my first 90mm x 90mm post is now set in the ground.

Here are a few pictures.

The pre formed light weight cement blocks (Handy Blocks) may or may not be used ,i'm not sure if I need them (they may have been a pre mature purchase time will tell).I saw them used on two garden railways on you tube.I bought them because my back yard is a sandstone shelf with only six inches of soil in places and may need them to stand shorter posts in along the far side of my route where the track will be suspended over bare sandstone.

06112013134.jpg

06112013133.jpg

jonblakeney said:

:D Hi all,My route has been chosen,a few holes have been dug,and my first 90mm x 90mm post is now set in the ground.

Here are a few pictures.

The pre formed light weight cement blocks (Handy Blocks) may or may not be used ,i'm not sure if I need them (they may have been a pre mature purchase time will tell).I saw them used on two garden railways on you tube.I bought them because my back yard is a sandstone shelf with only six inches of soil in places and may need them to stand shorter posts in along the far side of my route where the track will be suspended over bare sandstone.

What a boring post :lol::lol::lol:

Just had to get that one in before someone else did.

The build has started. Now of course pictures are an evil necessacity. Not having any sand like soil on or near thre GGR I can learn about 'how to' on this build.

Ian

Hi grockle,I have four posts in the ground now.

A bag of cement is used for each post,so far the hole depths are between 12" and 5" depending when I hit sandstone .In the shallow holes I just give the post a wider hole to compensate for the lack of depth ,this seems to make them plenty stable.

Pole # 5 might be a bit slower going in the ground as I just had a skin cancer cut out this morning,ended up getting 4 internal dissolving stitches and a 1"running stitch on the surface ,so I don't want to risk digging to early(I wonder how the wife is with a spade ,lol).

Now for the pun-----------wait for it------------

--------------I will keep you posted on the post when I next go to post it here .lol

Jon

08112013135.jpg

Hi roddy,I have chosen two meter spacing as I think any more than this is asking for trouble sag wise.

As far as road bed goes I am tossing up between two options # 1 the same as Roy's Faulkenwood and Springbridge seen on this forum

using a pair of 4x2's to span the gap between posts with plywood on top ,#2 I have seen a few railroads on you tube that use a method of placing one foot lengths of decking across the 4x2's butted up next to each other.It seems to me that short lengths of decking would resist warping well especially once painted.

I am still tossing up on which way to go at the moment it's ply wood just in front of decking but I am open to opinions anyone here may have .

Jon.