Triang wagons.

roddy

I have a number of Triang wagons with plastic wheels on long metal axles. The axles fit into the axle boxes of metal underframes and the axle boxes are open all the way through. The wheel/axle assembly has a number of issues that I thought might be easily solvable, but aren't. The wheel assemblies from Parkside wagon kits have brass bearings for the axle to run in. I have discovered that these bearings fit nicely into the axlebox drillings of the Triang wagons. By gently splaying the metal of the Triang wagons, a wheel assembly can be fitted between the bearings and the splayed metal gently crimped back onto the axle. I have a Triang wagon that now runs nicely on what I believe are Romford wheels. I shall try the bearings with other wheel assemblies.

I have used Top Hat bearings for some of my older Tri-ang freight stock and have used numerious different wheels from Lima metal and plastic to Hornby Silverseal wheels. All depending on what looks best for the purpose They certainly improve running and for coaches I completely remove the bogie and fit the Bachammn bogies in my case MK1's . The only bogies that have not been replaced are from coaches from the Transcontinential series as they are shorter than the Bachmann ones. These have had there original wheels replaced with metal Lima wheels and of course Top Hat bearings.

ian