Hellow from South Wales

Woodenbox

My introduction from sunny Newport, South Wales; I’m actually planning to mode1:32 scale on 16.5mm gauge (OO) to represent 600/500cm prototypical gauge, but as I will be using ‘OO’ outdoors then I thought it best to sign up so I can get advice from these forums rather than the narrow gauge forums having to put up with my particular & specific questions.

As a basic outline I plan to build my layout on raised beds, mainly wooden stilts- I have enough good quality hardwood for what will be only a 12’ by 4’ continuous run (with a few spurs) to begin with. I’ll spend the next week or so reading through the forums before launching my questions, I promise.

Hello and welcome,

You should find plenty of advice and ideas on here but if you can't find the answer to a particular question just ask.

I think your the first on here with OO narrow gauge and I'm looking forward to seeing your layout develop.

Ian R (one of the many Ian's on here)!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not being a stranger, I've just been busy with other things, so the railyway has ben on the back burner- it is still going to happen but I have a sense that I will just manage to do the foundations this side of winter. I'm planning on using plastics (UV) for a raised platform, where I might use wood it'll be thick (at least 4" thick) and bitumen coated. I should get at least 10 years out of that; the raised track won't be raised by much, maybe only 6" (I spent most of this year turning my garden from a 1 in 6 slope to stepped terrace, and due to location that was with a spade).

Where I hope you guys will come in is when it comes to the electrics (I'm using Peco track and because of the nature of my prototype gauge (500CM) the few points that will be there will be mechanically operated.

I will certainly post some photos, even if my 1:32 scale may not be everyone's taste.

Howdy from the strangely rainy west. I look forward to seeing what you get up to with that off scale scale. :shock::lol::lol:

Are you familiar with Woody's layout on the freerails site? I believe he is doing 1/32 scale with battery power and remote control. If not...

http://www.freerails.com/view_topic.php?id=1222&forum_id=17&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But we may know a bit more here about using OO/HO track in damper climates.

Good to have you aboard.

Greeting from a currently sunny Devon.

Looking forward to seeing a narrow gauge railway. Will make a change from the norm on here. Plenty of slow running and shunting we hope. and of course pictures, we want pictures and loads of them. So much easier to view than read sometimes, especially if you've had a couple of Shandies too many :lol:

Ian

Archived