Indoor Outdoor Layout

Hi everyone, I only found this site about a week ago, so I decided to join up and see whats happening.

My sons and I have been running an outdoor Ho scale North American railway for about 10years now, but about 18 months ago we decided to totally dismantle the outdoor section and re-new the whole thing and take the opportunity to add a branch line to another building so the trains actually had somewhere to go instead of just round and round. The main layout is situated in a shed which is about 20ft x 6ft and the new building is about 12ft x 6ft. The new outdoor section is an out and back with a run of about 50odd feet. This does not include the branch line which should have a run of about 70ft when completed. Also we have included a branch line to what will be a small mining town, this will be operated by a couple of "Budd RDC's" (similar to class153's) using a "Gaugemaster" shuttle unit. I will try to include some photo's if I can figure out how to do it.

If this works you can see the new outdoor section under construction and a few pic's of the layout in the larger shed.

108338_183159.jpg

108338_183221.jpg

108338_183244.jpg

108338_183940.jpg

108338_184228.jpg

004.jpg

001.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

001 (2).jpg

Hi the outdoor photos were taken as we built it. It does not get dismantled. Work has pretty much stopped now for the winter, unless we get some fine dry days when we are off work, but next year should see it completed and it will be detailed as far as is possible. There will be a couple of tunnels and embankments as well as a girder bridge to carry the branch over the main line. All the points will be electrically operated as well. Nige.

That's a very substantial outdoor structure and very nicely constructed. Looking at it I would feel safe to assume that it wouldn't give rise to any structural problems. The interior layout views look stunning and with an available length of 20 feet that should give you lots of possibilities. The outdoor section proves that you don't necessarily need a large open space to accommodate a decent layout outdoors and it has in fact given me some food for thought. What's the current state of the outdoor sections - is the first photo pretty recent (judging by the leaf fall and damp conditions) ?

Hi Mick, yes, the first photo of the outdoor section is as it stands at the moment, if it ever stops raining I would like to get a little bit more done before the winter really sets in. I was going to cover it up for the winter, but my sons will keep insisting on running trains even when its raining! Surprisingly enough it does not seem to affect them in the slightest, with the exception that the wheels need cleaning more often! Nige.

I'm really impressed with what you've done so far. I look at my ground-level offering and it's clear that the weather's not going to let me near it for some time to come. I look at your elevated sections and feel that as soon as the rain stops you could be out there running trains. The thing is I wanted my layout to blend into the garden rather than stand above it but now I'm not so sure I made the right decision. At least the rest of my layout will be at a higher level so hopefully I can do it to the same standards as yours.

Mick, thanks for your comments it really means alot to think that others appreciate your efforts. When its done there will be rock cuttings, tunnels and embankments using real rocks and homemade outdoor "Mod-Roc" using builders hession and a really sloppy concrete mix. I have been inspired by the outdoor scenic trees and shrubs used on various members layouts and I will certainly be poaching these for my layout. I have an idea for some pine trees as well using the branches from an old Christmas tree suitably shaped, I think if done right they should look ok especially if they are grouped together to make a small wooded area.