Programming Track

chris

Up until today I didn't have a programming track. I don't use the programming track feature very often, but as the amount of DCC kit I've got has increased the need for one has grown proportionally.

A programming track allows you to interegate one decoder in ways not available in normal oppertation mode because the the controller is only in communication with one device. To achieve this I used to have to remove all my stock and accessory decoders from the track and place the one item I need to programme on track.

I've now isolated one siding from the main track and wired it separately from the controller rather than using the bus. I was going to used a DPDT switch but had a rummage in the spares box and found some phono plugs and sockets and decided they would be more flexible. The programming track will be plugged in all the time, and when required the main track can be simply unplugged. The siding will work as normal when in regular oppertation.

The way I've wired means that if I want power districts it he future than they will be easy to add.

• 5 months later...

Is it possible to make a programming track from a length of track so as it can be used indoors to programme the locos? I have tried programming some of my locos on the main circuit outside with everything removed from the tracks but two of my locos will only work on 03. I'm using the hornby elite controller which should flash red 5 times when programming is complete but I get a pause after five red flashes, it then goes on to flash 5 times again and the locos will only respond on 03. Any advice :?:

Ive had similar problems with my "elite". Mine doesnt seem to read chips very well - even following the instruction manual!

As far as a programming track is concerned, I use a short length of deck board (about 24") with a length of OO and N gauge track pinned to it, wires soldered to the rail ends, which then connect to a controller. As my "elite" is not fixed down anywhere, its very easy. I also use this as the rails on which to use my dcc concepts rolling road and the (pretty useless) Bachmann / WS roto wheel cleaner.

ba14eagle said:

Ive had similar problems with my "elite". Mine doesnt seem to read chips very well - even following the instruction manual!

As far as a programming track is concerned, I use a short length of deck board (about 24") with a length of OO and N gauge track pinned to it, wires soldered to the rail ends, which then connect to a controller. As my "elite" is not fixed down anywhere, its very easy. I also use this as the rails on which to use my dcc concepts rolling road and the (pretty useless) Bachmann / WS roto wheel cleaner.

Do you have a picture of your programming track, so as I can see how you have connected it up. It sounds like something I would like to try doing myself. :)

ba14eagle said:

As with most things I do, its on the basis of "kiss" (keep it simple, stupid!)

That's great thanks for that. I had wondered if one end of the track would have had to be linked to create a loop but you have cleared things up for me. I've always though the simple way is best, I'll now give it a go :)

• 9 months later...

I've now ended up with something not dissimilar to Iain's photo above. A programming track in the shed was fine in summer, but the number of lighting projects I've worked on has needed something indoors to work with. The USB interface I've got for my NCE PowerCab allows me to program the lighting functions on a laptop and its super easy.

• 3 months later...

I only use a programming track to alter speed CV's. Mine is on the dining room table. I've lowered the mid and high range CV's to get the diesel locos to go to full thrash sooner. For me speed is not the essence. Once complete my Super D will take around 15-20 mins to do a full circuit of my railway on speed step 30. If the loco is put into a loop for another train to pass it will take longer.

I had thought of a programming track outside but I'd need to find some where to place a DPDT switch which was out of the weather.

Those who have an indoor section can have a dead end siding with a DPDT switch to use as a storage siding and programming track.

Roy.