Expanding foam filler

chris

It is very useful stuff but I've found that it doesn't always go where you think you are squirting it, and when it starts expanding the direction it takes is unpredictable. Note that it should be painted if used outdoors.

Definitely worth looking at. I've been using a black type designed for pond and waterfall use and assume that the type you refer to has similar qualities. It is easy to use when filling voids but as Riddles points out, when in open space it goes where it wants to go. It's also imperative to use gloves (at least it is for the type I've been using as it sticks to everything).

Very useful stuff Chris and as previously mentioned it's very very sticky!

Also as previously mentioned it does need protecting from sunlight, masonry paint would be ok for this.

Shopping around will pay off. Stores like Wilkinson, Poundstretcher, Yorkshire Trading, B & M are good places to try as are car boots and markets.

Ian.

PS I think the idea of laying tracks on it is a no no! :)

I've used the expanding foam in house renovations. It's nasty stuff and I'd think nigh on impossible to shape to a smooth surface to lay model railway tracks on. For track work foundations I think only plywood, rubbercrete and thermalite blocks are really the only foundations applicable to our use outside. After all you need a material that the track pins (what ever they're made of) can grip to hold the track in place.

Roy.

It's useful stuff. I've used it for landscaping around viaduct ends and tunnel mouths, and as a filler for a removable plywood viaduct. It's also a filler for a removable tunnel core, sliding in between two rows of building blocks with the top half of the tunnel bore at its base, portals each end, handles on top, and covered with two removable paving slabs sitting on the blocks. It's on the only path to the compost heaps so takes quite a lot of heavy traffic.

The only problem I've found is that he wildlife occasionally try eating it. I also have it painted brown, and several small children have asked "Ian, is that poo?"

I'd be surprised if it works as a trackbed, but might be usable as a filler below a plywood trackbed.

fungus said:

It's useful stuff. I've used it for landscaping around viaduct ends and tunnel mouths.

Landscaping around viaduct ends was what I was thinking of.

I'll see how I get on using traditional methods (plywood and roofing felt) and my give the filler a go.