Plywood - What's the best way to lay?

mick

I'm a few days away from being able to put any plywood down but I've been wondering what would be the best way to lay it in the areas that are close to the ground. For want of a better illustration, here's a quick sketch of the two ways I'm currently considering so that I might ask for your views:

pic1.jpg

The example on the left is what I'd describe the normal way with the plywood overlapping the concrete base. On the right is the way I would prefer to do it so that it would be easier to bring the garden up to sleeper level to create an embankment type section. Which way do you think would afford better protection from the weather? Do you think cutting the edges of the plywood at an angle would be better than leaving it square? If using angled edges, should the final covering of roofing felt be just on the top face or extended down over the angled edges?

Whichever way I decide to go I intend to place a piece of roofing felt or similar between the concrete base and the plywood to help prevent damp rising from below.

this is a good question really as it is going for looks over practicallity. the second one will look great as the track base and ballast will blend into the embankment. but this will raise problems of animals and grass going on the the running lines. but a solution could be to have the embankment slightly lower down the concrete. it may look slightly less 'attractive' but its all down to what you decide in the end. as for the felt, if you go for blending the embankment into the slope of the ply, bring the felt down and tak it to the concrete then you will get a seemless finish really.

tom

I guess I really want it to look like a railway track rather than a model railway track. I want it to merge seamlessly into the garden and if at all possible, be fully ballasted. I don't see why, even in OO gauge, we can't have fully ballasted track outdoors that looks realistic. I've almost decided to try some variation of the second idea probably with the angled edges if it can be done without causing too much trouble.

i think the wood base is a good idea. I do think it will increase labor, that can be good or bad. There must be a compromise in there somewhere.

Chris, As to the bevel, did you use a router to make your bevel?

Have you looked at how Fungus does his layout? ( Sorry Fungus, I have trouble remembering peoples names. Took me ages to quit calling Ian Grockle. )

A final decision on chamfering the edges of the plywood has still to be made. Thanks for the photos Chris - that's exactly what I was meaning. I know it'll mean additional work if I decide to go ahead but I do think it will help to create a better scenic image.

traingeekboy said:

...Have you looked at how Fungus does his layout? ...

Yes I've seen it a number of times now and that's the reason I'm unable to make a firm decision on which way to go with mine. I want a look similar to that which Fungus has created but by using plywood as the track base.

traingeekboy said:

I have trouble remembering peoples names. Took me ages to quit calling Ian Grockle.

don't worry out it Tr...gr.....ain.........if.......geek.....f....boy.........LOL. Griff, so long as I am never called late for me food, who cares what I am called Ian or Grockle not a problem