George's alter ego, Victor Meldrew

george356

Well, I DO believe it!!

When will this rain stop?

It not only stops play outside, but it bu99ers up my life 'cos I suffer from arthritis :(

I have loads of stuff I want to do, and I am hobbling through life miserable as sin, and that's not me!!

Join the happy family, this lovely weather plays heck with my joints as well, and I don't mean the smoking variety either :lol:

If it carries on much longer have been seriously considering taking up model boating instead, at least they will float.

Ian

Hahaha Ian. I find, as I get older, my tolerance levels are dropping to a level close to zero. I seem to be impatient with things that a couple of years ago I would have just smiled at.

Victor lives in all of us, I suppose.

Only because a few years ago you would do that without even a thought, now you have to consider whether you can actually manage to do it at all. Sign of the times as far as getting older is concerned. Getting there and doing it now are two different things.

Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Why can't some people take "No" for an answer?

Working in the garden this afternoon, sun blazing down on me, 3 young men approached the front gate. I could see they were going to try some sales pitch (clipboards, pens etc) so before they spoke I said "Sorry guys, not interested"

They were trying to sell loft insulation "for free". and just wouldn't accept that I was

a.) not interested

and

b.) already had 100mm loft insulation, installed by me 10 years ago.

They were selling door to door, only 1 had valid ID. I told them that they were behaving illegally by cold calling without ID, that I was a member of the Neighbourhood Watch and that if they didn't bu99er off sharpish I would be calling the police.

I have since Googled the company and boy, the complaints they have online about shoddy workmanship, theft etc would curl the hair, if I had some to curl.

Victor Meldrew lives.

When I noticed another addition to this thread I thought "Oh oh...after all that rain George is going to be complaining now about it being too hot!" :D

We actually had 'free' loft installation installed via British Gas shortly before we moved out of our home in Selby. It's not actually British Gas that carry out the work but whoever is contracted by them to do the installation. Access to our loft was in a small landing area at the top of the stairs and so we closed all the doors to the upstairs rooms to keep them clear of dust from the installation. On completion, and after the installers had left, we discovered that the two young lads doing the work had opened all the bedroom doors (for what reason we don't know), used our toilet without asking (we felt it would have been courteous to ask), and been sat in the swivel chair at my computer! We did put in a formal complaint but there's been no progress with the matter.

I think I've already moaned about British Gas on here after they made a real mess installing our gas boiler so apologies for going on about them again but just to add that yesterday we finally managed to sort out our account with British Gas. How difficult can it be to work out how much gas we have used since moving into this property when there was no gas installed previously, British Gas fitted the actual gas meter in March when the reading was "00000", and they've now got our present reading? It couldn't be anymore difficult even if you had to subtract one from the other. All we want is an up-to-date bill!

I won't mention the company that these guys were "representing", Mick, but afterwards I googled their name and the word "complaints". The screen filled up with hundreds of sites with complaints about shoddy workmanship, jobs half done (they get the subsidy no matter how much or how little they do), poor timekeeping, theft, poor communication skills, insolent employees. I could go on and on, but when you have been around as long as I have you develop a 'nose' for sniffing out problems.

Just one of the benefits of getting older, you have been there and done it, just didn't bother with the t-shirt or mug..... :D:D

Ian

Ian, you're right........... I think :D

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhnODcupU_0i4jC9mNo2u_vJs_GO5v4WY29RwkU91NW66l7me9VJ9iGkz4images?q=tbn:ANd9 ... e9VJ9iGkz4http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQhnODcupU_0i4jC9mNo2u_vJs_GO5v4WY29RwkU91NW66l7me9VJ9iGkz4' alt='URL>'>

im_not_really_grumpy_everybody_else_is_just_to_tshirt-p235839960226400362z85ne_400.jpgim_not_really_g ... ne_400.jpghttp://rlv.zcache.co.uk/im_not_really_grumpy_everybody_else_is_just_to_tshirt-p235839960226400362z85ne_400.jpg' alt='URL>'>

Why can't some people take "No" for an answer?

Working in the garden this afternoon, sun blazing down on me, 3 young men approached the front gate. I could see they were going to try some sales pitch (clipboards, pens etc) so before they spoke I said "Sorry guys, not interested"

They were trying to sell loft insulation "for free". and just wouldn't accept that I was

a.) not interested

and

b.) already had 100mm loft insulation, installed by me 10 years ago.

They were selling door to door, only 1 had valid ID. I told them that they were behaving illegally by cold calling without ID, that I was a member of the Neighbourhood Watch and that if they didn't bu99er off sharpish I would be calling the police.

I have since Googled the company and boy, the complaints they have online about shoddy workmanship, theft etc would curl the hair, if I had some to curl.

Victor Meldrew lives.

Over here there called 'Fly by Nighters here one day gone the next. I had a woman phone me years ago to ask if I had loft insulation and what type it was. Mine are Bradford Batts made of glass fibre. She tried to tell me that they degenerate over time. A builder friend of mine said the reason you wear a face mask when installing them is to prevent inhaling the glass fibres. If you do inhale them they can remain in their original state in your lungs for the rest of your life. I installed them myself and in addition to wearing a face respirator I had a "Tyvek" full barrier overall type clothing. I made the mistake of installing them in the summer time here and must have lost around 10 kilos in weight through perspiration.

Roy.

Loft Insulation? - Had them call here today. I opened the door and was asked simply "Have you received your loft insulation grant yet?" to which I replied "You wot?" He didn't explain what he meant but went on to ask what thickness insulation I had in my loft. I refused to discuss anything and the young lad and young lady left without further ado. I never noticed who they were representing and they didn't introduce themselves.

It's worrying to think how disconcerting this kind of approach can be to the elderly and more vulnerable members of society.

If it's not someone trying to sell you something, it's someone trying to talk to you about god. i have my own ideas about why i'm here and i'm not interested in pat answers.

For a long time the churchies wouldn't even come by my house anymore, i think the mormons just thought my place looked satanic. I sometimes make a point of telling them I'm pagan, which i'm not, but it gets them right off the porch and back onto the street.

I really do find their interruptions a bother. I might have to make a tiny plaque that says something like, "have a satan day! :)" just to keep them away.

I get harrassed a lot on my home phone - almost to the point I'm thinking of either changing the number or getting rid of it altogether. The TPS is useless - all these companies ignore it, even if you are on it.

Personal Injury claim, mis-sold PPI and loft insulation / cavity wall insulation are the favourites.

In December 2009 I had a car crash. Eventually it was agreed a 50/50 split responsibility with the other driver. Im still getting people phoning me saying that I have to claim money that has been set aside for me - for the injuries I received. :lol: I received no injuries and no minor aches and pains afterwards, so no, I dont want their (sorry yours and mine) money - :shock: they cant believe it :? . Its the same with PPI. They say I must have been mis-sold it - I say I dont care and dont want to know - thay cant take no for an answer :evil: This morning I had a very loud, Liverpudlian young lady on the phone and when the penny finally dropped that I wasnt interested, she accused me of laughing at her and being rude - of which there was "no need". I politely pointed out to her that it was her who had called me, disturbing my Olympics viewing :oops: and that she wasnt going to get my custom by taking that approach. I havent yet offered to be rude to any of them, just so they know what its like, but it is tempting :lol:

I get harrassed a lot on my home phone - almost to the point I'm thinking of either changing the number or getting rid of it altogether.

I've got caller display on my phone and don't answer any numbers that I don't know.