Bachmann LE Class 47 'The Institution of Civil Engineers'

mick

class47IME.jpg

Interestingly, in a departure from their standard procedures, Bachmann have decided to make available a limited edition Class 47 for purchase directly through the Bachmann website. As far as I am aware, this model of 47 975 'The Institution of Civil Engineers' (Bachmann product No: 31-650S) was one of 2 model class 47s originally commissioned by retailers who subsequently cancelled the orders due to the economic situation prevalent at the time.

47 975 is released in the attractive Civil Engineers 'Dutch' livery as allocated to the British Rail Departmental and Central Services Research pool of locomotives and would have been seen over most parts of the rail network during the early 1990s. Each model will be supplied with an individually numbered, full colour Bachmann certificate and only 512 models are to be made available world wide.

At a price of £88.10p plus £4.70 UK mainland postage, there is approx a 33% premium on the cost of a standard release Bachmann model class 47 locomotive available through major high street retailers but I think the quality and performance of these enhanced Bachmann class 47s are excellent value in standard form and in limited edition issue certainly worthy of that little extra cost. When compared to the RRP of standard issue Bachmann class 47's (approx. £85) then this release directly from Bachmann offers tremendous value for money.

I have already placed my order for 47 975 as I have been watching eagerly for news of its release since photographs showing the model displayed on the Bachmann stand at the Warley exhibition were published last year. It will be interesting to compare the quality and performance of 47 975 to my 'Dutch' liveried Heljan class 47 which has yet to make an appearance on the Selby Garden Railway.

For further details of 47 975 and to place an order visit the Bachmann Europe PLC website