Airfix kits

traingeekboy

Like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-AIRFIX-OO-SCALE-MODEL-KIT-SERIES-2-BOXED-/320864986371?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4ab50b2503#ht_500wt_1018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Was curious if they are moving or static models? The loco is obviously static. A bunch came up on ebay the other day for .99 each. i suppose maybe two thirds of a pound each. Seemed like a way to get some cheap stock that would keep one busy building for a bit.

traingeekboy said:

Any thoughts on the old Airfix plastic car kits?

CARS? They're not bloomin cars! :lol:

I was wondering what all this car business was about. I used to make plastic Airfix kits when I was a young lad but I couldn't work out what the plastic cars were that you were going on about. If you'd said wagons I'd have known, trucks I could have guessed, but cars - yep, you got me there!

Looking at the items on the eBay link (does it say wagon on 3 of those boxes?) you could certainly build and run 3 of those - decent kits too by all accounts. The saddle tank you could possibly motorise or use on some other type of available chassis.

traingeekboy said:

Like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-AIRFIX-OO-SCALE-MODEL-KIT-SERIES-2-BOXED-/320864986371?pt=UK_Trains_Railway_Models&hash=item4ab50b2503#ht_500wt_1018" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Was curious if they are moving or static models? The loco is obviously static. A bunch came up on ebay the other day for .99 each. i suppose maybe two thirds of a pound each. Seemed like a way to get some cheap stock that would keep one busy building for a bit.

Those are now sold by dapol as they bought most of the moulds from airfix (see website in previous post)

Can be quite easily be converted to running status

• 1 year later...

mick said:

CARS? They're not bloomin cars! :lol:

It's alright Mick no need to worry he's from Barcelona ;) (Faulty Towers)

But in all honesty once you add up the price to buy the kit or kits, paint, adhesive and time then R-T-R works out much cheaper.

Roy.

Oh that's OK I'm sure that my brush tailed possum, magpies, Kookaburras and foxes would welcome a free meal. ;)

The plastic Dapol 16 ton mineral wagon is a good model if you want a wagon with it's side door open and the loco kits are good if you have a lot of green diesels to represent steam locos on their way to the scrapyard.

Roy.