Bachmann JJA Auto-Ballaster Wagons

mick

Bachmann have published details of their forthcoming models of the JJA Auto-Ballaster wagons.

jja-002.jpg

These all new OO scale models represent the Mark 2 version of wagon, and are made available in three variants. Item number 38-210 is a wagon incorporating a generator to provide power for lighting and discharge chute operation.

jja-001.jpg

The non-generator variants are available either with a curved or flat top profile. Item number 38-211 is pictured below exhibiting the flat top variant. All wagons feature etched metal brass canopies and discharge doors. Fine metal or plastic hand rails are incorporated into the design along with a wealth of internal brake equipment.

For further details please visit the Bachmann website

• 10 months later...

It looks like the Generator wagons are now available to purchase from model shops and there have been a couple advertised already on eBay. Not sure when the non-generator wagons are due to be released but I wouldn't think they'll be too far behind. I couldn't resist ordering a single generator wagon to get me started but they look so good that I'm thinking a rake of 10 (2 generator and 8 non-generator) might look okay on the SGR?

Photo's of the generator wagon just as soon as I get hold of it!

A welcome delivery by my local postie this morning of a Bachmann 38-210 Auto-Ballaster Generator Unit in Railtrack blue/cream livery and so as promised, here are a few quick photographs of the actual model.

Taken indoors with camera flash, this is a side on view of the wagon. It's certainly an eye-catching livery and there's a wealth of fine detail and lots of clearly legible wording on each side of the wagon. How on earth could anyone ever pluck up the courage to weather these?

IMG_4564.jpg

This is a closer view of the generator end. The couplings are ready fitted but the buffers are unsprung. The safety railings are fine and well represented.

IMG_4560.jpg

The non-generator end is equally impressive.

IMG_4562.jpg

As already stated, the printing is exceptionally well done and the wording, as seen in the photo below, is clearly legible.

IMG_4563.jpg

This really is a first class wagon which demonstrates just how advanced model railway rolling stock construction has now become. In fact I would go as far as saying that, in my opinion, this must be the finest wagon ever produced in OO gauge ready-to-run format. It really does look that good. With two of these generator wagons now available for use on the SGR, I cannot wait for the non-generator wagons to be released. A loaded rake of these wagons is going to be something really special.

mick said:

How on earth could anyone ever pluck up the courage to weather these?

A rake of these went by the house last weekend, and weathering doesn't being to describe their condition. Lots of rust and you could see where the railtrack branding had been painted over.

I'm tempted by these, but I think I'll wait for a Network Rail version.

chris said:

A rake of these went by the house last weekend, and weathering doesn't being to describe their condition. Lots of rust and you could see where the railtrack branding had been painted over...

Actually they do look quite appealing in their 'patched' livery with rust stained bodywork but even if I could, I don't think I'd dare do it. Definitely not something I would want to rush into.

• 5 years later...
chris said:

A rake of these went by the house last weekend' date=' and weathering doesn't being to describe their condition. Lots of rust and you could see where the railtrack branding had been painted over.

I'm tempted by these, but I think I'll wait for a Network Rail version.

I didn't wait for the Network rail version, they never came.

And I've finally "plucked up the courage to weather these". I'm in the process of removing the Railtrack lettering with T-Cut. It could be a while before I get the weathering powders on them.

02617ad85f73464e09f1a7962d04f034.jpg

Blimey, is it really going on for six years now since these wagons were released? They're still one of my favourite wagons of all time and whenever I think of getting some track down up in the attic, these wagons are one of the reasons I put forward for doing so. I've done nothing with mine of course, they remain untouched and unweathered but I remain hopeful that will change one day.

I've noticed that some people just paint over the Railtrack lettering - did you feel it necessary to remove it first? Had you tried painting over it or do you plan to alter them in another way? What final livery do you intend them to be in?

6 years! That's how long I've been worried about mucking them up.

I find T-cut is a good way of removing lettering and if you don't remove it then it will show though any paint with an embossed effect.

Now the lettering has been removed I'll have a go at painting over where the letting was. Then I'll need to weather them :!:

This may take another few years to get round to.

Final livery? Rusty ;)