Coffee time ramblings

essex2visuvesi

Funny post. I came on o report about snow here in Colorado, then I found these pictures. Doesn't feel cold yet but tonight we're supposed to get 9F (not the loco the temperature). Yesterday it was in the 60's and I didn't bother to get out anything to run.

Is your layout going anywhere in those photos.

IanR said:

Have you considered a different pastime?... Like building an ice sculpture in the Sahara? :)

ha ha funny guy. I think about sculpting scenery out of snow for my layout; things like tunnels and castles. Haven't done it yet, but we're about to hit the snowy season.

So with all the planning for a layout, do you have a track plan? Or do you have a general idea of size for your layout?

well we have 36 acres of forest and swap to play with so I could go a lot further lol

I have been planning the main terminus station and its bloody huge! paltform lengths will be about 12 feet long (enough room for my Projected 9/10 car pullman rake to pull in happily)

This is going to be a removable section made up of 2 main boards that can be worked on indoors and fixed in place when required

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That's the situation I'm looking forward to being in - not under threat of snow of course but one where you can sit back and detail/enhance the items you've already got rather than being constantly on the lookout for something else to add to the collection. Up to now I've been a 'collector' and even many of the items I've used in the past have yet to have even their basic detailing parts fitted. What a hopeless situation! That's my reasoning behind operating a kind of preserved railway outdoors where I use only those items that have been fully prepared for operation - up to and including fitting of sound decoders. I want to start with 'Evening Star', 'Blue Peter', the Robinson '04' and S&D '7F' so that I have a variety of locos capable of working the line. Likewise with coaching stock, I want to maintain a small number of permanent rakes and not be constantly swapping them around. I look at prototype operations such as those on the NYMR and wish I could run a model layout outdoors in similar fashion.

When I was at the NYMR in 2000 I saw a Lambton Tank on an inspection saloon, West Country Pacific Hartland on red eastern region coaches which I rode in from Grosmont to Pickering and A4 Sir Nigel Gresley on a mixture of MK1 blue and grey, one blood and custard and a teak buffet coach which I rode in for the trip back from Pickering to Grosmont.

Of course you can have Heartbeat, and the first of the Harry Potter films, 'Harry Pot Head and the Stoned Philosopher'. You'd need to buy a Bachmann Hall and repaint it but ONLY if you really wanted too. It would be totally authentic as the real loco only has the 'Hogwarts Castle' nameplates when involved with filming and the rest of the time has it's Olton Hall nameplates which maybe available from Fox Transfers. You could use a BR tender emblem instead of the silly Hogwarts one, after all they're the same shape. If you decided to fit sound it would need an A4 whistle.

In a comedy skit over here on the second film The Chamber of Idiots, someone had written on the walls in blood 'Lord of the Rings rules'.

Roy.

• 1 month later...

Not posted here in a while due to life getting in the way :( still too much snow to make a start or the railway but things have been moving along nicely inside

I now have pretty much all the stock I need tho there's always room for more

decoders have been fitted to most locos now

200 yards of flexitrack have been delivered along with a substantial quantity of points

Rail joiners - Check

4 x 100M rolls of Bus wire duly liberated from Father in laws workshop (Its power cable for tractors so should be beefy enough lol)

Kids have been madly casting Linka parts and creating cottages, castle ruins and god knows what