Hornby 2012 range

mick

Well if you weren't already aware, today was the day of the official Hornby announcement - the day they released details to the world of their plans for the coming year. Perhaps like many other people you've already seen a glimpse of what was in store. Model Rail magazine featured details of the 2012 range in their current issue which has been available in some areas since before Xmas. If you didn't manage to catch Model Rail then Hornby's own forum (along with some others) also provided details of some of the new releases.

I had thought about commenting on the situation a few days ago but it's all got a bit farsical and so today's announcement, to me at least, amounts to nothing more than a damp squid.

There are some highlights for me among the listed items, these being the all new tooling Thompson 2-8-0 class 01 locomotive and the Thompson suburban coaches but being as details of these had already been leaked, the news comes as no surprise today.

I'll leave the rest for others to comment on. If you can manage to access the Hornby site, what, if anything, is of interest to you?

I find it very strange that shortly after the National Railway Museum begin selling Limited Edition examples of the Hornby Flying Scotsman locomotive in a choice of green or black livery, that Hornby should decide to make both liveries available as part of their standard range and at greatly reduced prices. The NRM versions are currently selling for £146 while the standard range Hornby models are being listed at a retail price of £116. Other than the Limited Edition tag it would appear the models are the same?

I'm one of those who actualy paid the premium and ordered directly from the NRM partly because I felt at the time that the additional expense was in aid of a good cause but now I'm left feeling a bit sour over the whole thing. I don't see how this can be seen as particularly good news for the NRM who appear to still have models available in both liveries.

I know it's not unknown for models to enter the standard range catalogues after being sold previously in Limited Edition form but it's normally after a decent intervening period. To me, this is a bit too soon not to leave a bad taste with a lot of people and more importantly in my view, it will certainly make people think twice before purchasing directly from the NRM in the future.

• 1 month later...

Also as part of the ongoing Hornby range is their announcement that they're going to do a GWR 42xx 2-8-0T and 72xx 2-8-2T. I know a lot of people want new up to date diesels but most if not all have been made in the past few years so now the main manufactures are having to look back in history to the enormous amount of steam locos that survived until the 1950 and 60's.

As for buying locos from the NRM I would only buy from them IF it is a loco made in conjunction with Bachmann. Locos such as the prototype Deltic, City of Truro and Midland Compound will probably not end up in the main loco range from Bachmann and will remain NRM models.

Flying Scotsman has been in the Hornby range for years so to buy one from the NRM means you will pay a premium price.

Roy.

Ok guys. Can we establish a rule for providing links so that the ignorant american can at least see what you are talking about? Or are links still not available? Is this still conjecture?

I guess hattons should have info if it's pre-order stuff and I can go look there. But please consider that you have a british rail and british products moron on this site. :lol::oops:

• 2 months later...
traingeekboy said:

Ok guys. Can we establish a rule for providing links so that the ignorant american can at least see what you are talking about? Or are links still not available? Is this still conjecture?

I guess hattons should have info if it's pre-order stuff and I can go look there. But please consider that you have a british rail and british products moron on this site. :lol::oops:

You could try http://www.hornby.com TGB and watch your bank balance disappear. You can buy directly from Hornby but DON'T as you'll pay full retail price and it's 45 pounds extra in postage no matter what you buy.

For me trolling though the website today I like the return of the GWR autocoach in GWR livery and blood and custard and 'B' set in both GWR livery and BR maroon. Dare I hope that the Clerestories will make a welcome return as I'd like another four. We will certainly need something along those lines ( no pun intended ) when Bachmann releases the GWR Dukedog.

Roy.