Not for Rivet Counters

grockle

Just received through the post two steam loco bodies based on the Holden 101 design. Orange 'TERRY' No 34 and yellow 'CONNIE' No 7. Just got to get working chassis for them both now or swap bodies from running stock. Pictures to follow later.

Ian

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update on the re-incarnation of my mates loft layout.

Baseboards have all received a rather fetching coat of brown paint and track laying has commenced after deciding where he wanted the main station situated. This originally started out as a two up and two down lines but has now grown to three up and three down lines with appropriate points to make interesting operation around the station area. Slow stopping platforms are 5ft long whilst the through mainline station island platform is just over 10ft long, enough to accommoate a full lenght HST. Next job on the agenda is getting all the curves sorted so that there is no stock knocking whilst going around their respective curves. Once that has been done then its onwards and forwards to get the remainder of the track layed, points put in the appropriate places for the branch lines that will also be doing an incline as well. This is going to be a totally different rebuild from his original plans of just four running tracks going round and round. He is at present getting lengths of flexi-track soldered together so that when I use it to do the curves, using set track 4 curve as a templatefor the largest curve, there will be no joints as such on the larger curves. The idea of the curves is a follows;

Track 1. Use flexi using set track 4 radius curve as template and lay track outside of template.

Track 2. Use set track 4 radius curves.

Track 3. Use flexi using set track 3 raduis curve as template and lay again ouside of template.

Track 4. Use set track radius 3 curves.

Track 5 Use flexi using set track 2 radius curve as template and again lay outside of template.

Track 6. Use set track radius 2 curves.

Doing the curves this way we can get all of his rolling stock around the curves without any derailments

Set track radius 1 will be used in the goods sidings and the like only, along with set track points. Large radius points are being used on all the mainline trackwork.

Ian

Loft layout update.

After discussions on the phone its been decided that there should be a 10 line fiddle yard incorporated underneath the town that is being built at a higher level where the branch line will now terminate. Have also got to get some N gauge trackwork sorted so that he can run his 00 gauge trams as well. This I am leaving up to him on how he wants to do it but will be using a shuttle as its only got to go backwards and forwards. This could prove interesting as what I haven't told him yet is that I also have plans for another branch line going in the opposite direction from the planned one, to the town, but going instead to his industrial estate that is being build at the opposite end of the layout.

I have also finished off a cut and shut that started out as part of a Lima two car 117 unit.http://www.miac.org.uk/class117.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; This has now been converted to a single car unit similair to the DMU 121 bubble car http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/n-loco55028.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and as yet still undecided as to what the final colour scheme should be.

Ian

Before Thursdays lot layout build

1. Batteries charged and packed ready with the camera

2. Set track radius 4, 8 peices ready

3. 2 x lengths flexi-track soldered together to make one long 6ft lenght x 4

4. Shut and cut 117 to 121 boxed and ready to go home

5. Lima MK3's loaded for testing on the curves as we don't want any coach bashing around the corners

6. Must get some petrol on the way there or else its a long walk home again :lol:

Ian

[album]754[/album][album]755[/album][album]756[/album][album]757[/album][album]758[/album][album]759[/album][album]760[/album][album]761[/album][album]762[/album][album]763[/album][album]764[/album]

This is the loft layout that I am currently helping rebuild again. The is also a few of the cut and shut that is an ongoing project and is now going for a repaint.

The layout is currently nameless, so looking for a name, any suggestions would be appreciated.

Ian

That's not a layout it's a raceway! he he Those are a lot of mainlines to run trains on.

I've seen a lot of Brit loft layout pics, are there always beams that get in the way? My basement, if you want to call it a basement as it is really just a furnace room under the back of the house, has low beams. To stand up down there I have to place my head between the beams. I think it was dug out as an afterthought, because they tore out part of the brick support wall the runs down the center and used a piece of rail as a beam. I think I still have dents in my skull from that piece of rail when I was doing my N scale layout down there.

Thanks for posting the pics, now I know what you've been working on.

Well the first name to pop in my head is Harold; It's not a good railway name. :lol:

Working from the roof the first three tracks are running clockwise, track 1 on the short platform is for slow stoppers, track 2 is a passing loop for whatever is not stopping on the slow line and track 3 is for fast expresses.

Fairly obviously the other three tracks run anti(counter)clockwise so starting on the short platform which is track 6, that is for the slow stoppers, track 5 is the passing loop line and track 4 is for fast expresses and incorporates an island platform (serves track 3 as well) of just over 10ft long which will take a full length HST comprising 2 x class 43 diesel loco's one at each end plus 8 x MK3 coaches made up of the following; 2 x first class, 1 x buffett and 5 x second class open, all 73ft long coaches as apposed to the MK2's and MK1's which are 65ft in length.

Only half of the layout has track layed at present as we have run out of track so its shopping time again and as there is a Toy Fair this weekend at Newton Abbot, Devon, racecourse will be going there to purchase loads of second hand flexi track.

Ian

Train and Toy Fair this morning Sunday 19 February 2012 at Newton Abbot racecourse. Started at 1000hrs but didn't get there until about 1030hrs. Purchased a couple of 0-4-0 working chassis based on the Hornby Holden 101

http://www.topslotsntrains.com/topslotsntrains/final.asp?ref=HORNBY-R2957-GWR-0-4-0-CLASS-101-1835---2010-LOCOMOTIVE-&id=6815&manufacturer=%27Hornby%27" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and they are now on my Orange 34 Terry and 07 Corrie.

Also purchased Anne and Clarabell which are as I write this undergoing butchery. Both are being cut down from 3 compartment to 2 compartment coaches which means the chassis also has to be cut down. Once finished little Tom No 1/2 will have 4 x 2 compartment coaches behind him and they are being named as follows; ANN, NEE, CLARE & BELLA, as apposed to Thomas No 1 still has Anne & Clarabell. Pictures are being taken of the conversion from 3 to 2 compartment coaches and once both coaches are finished pictures will be forth comming.

Ian

Edit. I have also been doing some more repainting on the chopped DMU 121 and have added something that never was on the actual think, include model items as well. This has been done simply to make it a totally one off DMU 121. I just hope that the owner of this likes what I have done. Shame if he doesn't, because I am not going to remove it.

Well it's good to know i'm not the only one tinkering away while waiting for warmer weather. he he

But if the wife finds out that I am actually doing all this in the nice warm living room whilst watching the television instead of being in the drafty shed, she would be to put it mildly very very very annoyed. Thankfully she's have a weeks holiday with her son and his partner so is miles away from home. Peace for a whole week. Modelling bliss for at least 7 days :D:D:D

Ian

I am blissfully single. well I have Sara but she has her own place. she comes to my place to be amused by the latest goings on in the model railroad house.

Well... ok here is another english english american english thing. Over here when people say partner they are usually gay. So when you said you son and his partner I assumed you had a gay son. But i'm thinking you use it more generally there.

7 days is enough to to put some lines in the dining room to carry food from the kitchen. he he he

When in the US its not wise to say that you are going outside to smoke a fag!

Been there, done it, after a long flight from Gatwick to Orlando and after getting through customs went outside for a smoke and as I did not have a light on me asked an American if he had a light for my FAG. The look on his face was a picture of horror but then the penny dropped as I was from England he knew actually what I wanted but did tell me about the use of certain words mean something completely different in the USA.

Partner in the UK means, in my case, my sons girlfriend, or my daughters boyfriend.

We all know about the word Fag, English slang for a cigarrette, smoke etc.

Hood, bonnet in the UK

Trunk, boot in the UK

Cookies, biscuits in the UK

Candy, sweets in the UK

The list goes on and on and some are very amusing as well if the wrong translation are used

Railroad, Railway - obviously on this forum is a very common one

Ian

Pictures have been added to my gallery but here is a sampler just to wet your appetite. You will have to view my gallery to see them all.

[album]767[/album][album]769[/album][album]770[/album][album]774[/album][album]775[/album][album]780[/album][album]784[/album]

Ian

Edit; Just spoken to the owner of the DMU 121 and he likes the addition of the 1st class compartment. PHEW

On my travels again today. Going to do some more work on my mates loft layout. First stop however is the model shop in Paignton to purchase track. I made sure yesterday that they have got what I want in stock so its just a case of paying for it. 12 x 2ft lenths of set track and 12 x lengths concrete sleepered flexi-track. Just hoping that this is enough to get some if not all of the trackwork completed today. We have also got to take some track up around the station area to put in some pointowrk for the two branch lines. Forgot about them when we started laying track. Depending on hom much the track is going to cost I might just get some more flexi-track just in case we haven't got enough track already. If we are okay track wise it will not be going to waste as its always handy to have spare for any remedial work that might and probably will be required on the outside track of the Grockle Garden Railway (GGR). Yes I have taken my camera again and will try to remember to get more pictures of the work in progress. Might even get a complete circuit complete, in which case will get some trains running.

Ian