Structures

traingeekboy

i know some of you have structures on your layouts. i haven't gotten to that point yet but am curious about your experience with them. How do they hold up to the weather or do you bring them in over the winter? what are you doing to coat them so that sun doesn't make the plastic brittle? Is there anything else I should consider regarding out door models?

i would like to get mine illuminated with lights too. is anyone else using lights in and around structures?

Most of my buildings are from the Bachmann and Hornby ranges, cast in resin. Due to their value I only put them out on a few occasions when running and then put them away again. Because of this, I haven't coated them in anything.

The only building that is out all year round is the Bachmann engine shed (due to housing the wiring distribution board). I didnt coat it and it has faded. I think it has reached a point that it wont get any worse. Ive also noticed the handrails on the roof walkways have started to rust!

The only plastic structures I use are an old Hornby / Triang station, canopies and platforms, which again, have been bought in for the winter, but will hopefully be able to stay outside from the Spring to Autumn.

Im considering making my buildings using the Linka system

http://www.linkaworld.com/

Quite an expensive initial outlay ( in reality its only the cost of a couple of premium resin buildings) but the results seem to be well worth it and the kids can get involved too

I plan to use Cassini's outdoor plaster-of-Paris to give them a little more durability

Wow, that's a blast from the past. i think I still have a large amount old linka moulds in my parent's loft. I too though they were no longer made. What sort of coating would be needed to keep them weather proof? I may have to see if my old ones are still useable.

• 4 weeks later...
AndyR said:

Wow, that's a blast from the past. i think I still have a large amount old linka moulds in my parent's loft. I too though they were no longer made. What sort of coating would be needed to keep them weather proof? I may have to see if my old ones are still useable.

Dig them out.... theres no reason why they wont still be ok, tho the new moulds are softer and easier to release the parts without damage

This is what I'm planning on using

Cassini's outdoor plaster-of-Paris.

An extremely versatile water- and weather-resistant plaster for statuary, water-features, garden ornaments, etc; also suitable for plaques, mouldings, repairs and stonework restoration. As well as a fluid stage, Cassini's has a long paste phase - making it perfect for both casting and daubing work (click on the photo to see the setting profile). Stronger, far more breakage-resistant and less brittle than other plasters, Cassini's also makes the ideal sculpting medium. This plaster dries to a pure white but can be dyed or coloured, etc. Click on the link lower down the page for more about using Cassini's.

http://www.maragon.co.uk/arts-and-crafts.html#Init" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

• 1 month later...

Anyone clued up on tunnels? I'm going to be short with my sheet of marine ply for building my double oval in the garden and as I planned on having a tunnel at the far end, wondered if it would be possible to use a length of decking or perhaps a length of other type plywood around two meters long running through a plastic pipe? Plan is to have a radius turn at either end with the pipe either on the ground or very close to it. Would appreciate the forums views, as I've never done any of this stuff before?

Hi billdavidson I made a tunnel from a four inch drainpipe with a 2inch piece cut out of the bottom all along and about a meter long in length

and made the tunnel mouths but you will need access to clean it I found bits of soil and leaves collected regally so any longer might be a bit awkward

to clean and maybe solder the track together in the tunnel ;)

Not sure if this info will help, but I originally had tunnels (non removable) at first, and you could guarantee that any derailment/mishap ALWAYS happened in these places.

After some rebuilds I decided to have hidden sections with easily acceptable access.

This end of my layout has a hinged section:-(in open mode)

The tunnel may not be what you are after exactly, but I think a lot of thought has to go into accessing these sort of structures.

PIC_0126.JPG

PIC_0128.JPG

PIC_0129.JPG

PIC_0134.JPG