Duncan's Dubious Drivel

drmalesis

Hi All,

Back in the saddle after a winter layoff, lots of other pressing problems (thankfully all resolved now) and raring to go. Weathers been great here - so ready to start again tomorrow.

Noticed everyone's been busy and I've been slacking. Must resolve to do better... ;)

• 3 years later...

Oh well, time to resurrect the journal as there's not much going on here due to the dismal weather. I've been consoling myself by spending a few pounds on our favourite auction site. Given the ever increasing prices of new loco's these days, (frankly most well out of my pockets reach), I've had to resort to snagging a couple of couple of bargains in the shape of a Lima Class 37 and Class 50 - both in BR blue. There really are some nice Lima locomotives available that are more than adequate for the garden railway, so I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for further Lima bargains over the coming weeks.

I've also started looking forward to next years holiday and have booked a week in a cottage at Soulby near Kirkby Stephen. I love spending time around this part of the country not only because my favourite railway will be on the doorstep, but also because it's such a beautiful part of the world. But the real cherry on the cake has to be the absolute gem on an Indian Restaurant in Kirkby Stephen with currys to die for - can't wait...

cheers

Duncan

Do also make time to visit the Stainmore Railway at Kirkby Stephen East Station. It doesn't go all that far yet, and operating days are not all that frequent but they are a friendly bunch of volunteers and have done wonders in restoring the old station building. There's still lots to do but they have model railway exhibitions from time to time.

DW

Riddles said:

Do also make time to visit the Stainmore Railway at Kirkby Stephen East Station. It doesn't go all that far yet, and operating days are not all that frequent but they are a friendly bunch of volunteers and have done wonders in restoring the old station building. There's still lots to do but they have model railway exhibitions from time to time.

Don't worry, I will be. We were in Soulby in Summer 2013 but just simply ran out of time to visit the Stainmore Railway. I think the mystique of this railway is just as appealing as the S&C, but sadly so little remains of it - although we have walked over all of the surviving viaducts in the area...

Duncan