ROY'S DRIVEL

cleanerg6e

A while ago I bought the entire Telerail collection of Steam World Archive which run to 20 DVD's and at the time most arrived from the UK in brown packaging. The girl in the post office wanted to know what I'd ordered. So I told her DVD's of steam locos in the flesh. She looked at me as if I was a 'few sandwiches short of a picnic'. But that's ok I am. :lol:

There are some absolute gems on that series. Like the ECML in the 1950's in colour, Black and white shots of Exeter Central in the late 1940's with Bullied West Countries in original condition with the Devon Belle, including a brand new 'Bodmin'. Shots of the S&D and many shots of loco depots at the end of steam including Nine Elms, Carnforth, Aberdeen Ferryhill etc. The Scottish comedian Billy Connelly says that Aberdeen is Gaelic for hypothermia.

traingeekboy said:

Ugh cabbage patch dolls. Ugly as sin. Then there was that whole beanie baby craze. I just don't get people who collect things.... uh oh. :?

A small disclaimer:

I am not responsible for the poor taste that exists in American culture such as cabbage patch dolls; I don't get it either. :lol:

I know what you mean. Who on earth would anyone want to buy something with a face on it like a 'half sucked mango' :lol:

As already noted elsewhere its cold here today and just the start of my weekend off. My finger continues to improve........slowly and I can now confidently pick up a saucepan with my left hand. I know that sounds very much 'so what', but when you have been unable to do that since mid September it's a little triumph. My finger nail was in two halves and the right half was sort of in bits that came away in dribs and drabs. The other day the left half of the nail came away in one piece and no pain. The scab underneath is slowly peeling off but I'm not pulling at it at all. At least when I have a shower I no longer need to put a plastic shopping bag over my hand. The main reason I have so little movement in that finger is due to the tendons being destroyed when the shredder blade went through the finger.

It's also lucky I had all those Telerail DVD's and the entire Ivo Peters collection and many video 125 DVD's as it gave me something to watch as well as you tube.

I'm off to Blacktown tomorrow to have one of my DCC throttles repaired as the antenna has come adrift. It has a short stubby antenna and I'll have it replaced with a longer whip type antenna. Parking my pride and joy in a multi storey carpark somewhere near the top and far away from the exits and all other cars. I'll drop in one of my old railway workmates who lives in the Blacktown area. He's invited me down for lunch. He's a Ford Falcon fan but doesn't know I have a newer one. I have the oddest feeling he's going to want to have a drive. Everyone else who has seen it has.

I've just been having a browse through the DCC Concepts website and although the coach lighting looks interesting, I was interested in the Cobalt point motors and the MPD loco storage cradles. They come in three sizes 14.1"$49.95, 18.1"$53.95 and 22.1"$59.95. Not only do they enable you to safely store your locos without damaging the detail, but they can be inverted and each one doubles as a loco servicing cradle. Apparently you lock the loco in using pieces of foam and then invert the cradle and remove the bottom half to say clean your loco wheels. You can put more than on loco in such as two pannier tanks. They're also ideal for 3 or 4 car DMU's. As they come in different sizes they would be long enough to hold the proposed Hattons LMS Garratt. They are made for HO and OO scale and will hold everything from a pannier tank to a US Big Boy.They come ready assembled and like every thing from DCC Concepts they're not cheap. They are available in the UK from Bromsgrove Model, DCC Supplies and Gauge Master.

I may have to invest in a few of those as I have a LARGE loco collection and with detail becoming ever more fragile it's SO easy to damage locos and in the case of my two Eureka Garratts you only have to look at them and parts can fall off. They have a coupling system which consists of multi pins that join the three units Front Drive, Middle Boiler Section and Rear Drive together and are not made to be repeatedly taken apart and put together.

So take a look at the DCC Concepts site and see what you think.

Roy.

Great to hear about your recovery coming along. unless someone has had some kind of inability they just don't understand. When my back was bad I would moan and groan and be unable to do anything. People had no clue that even though I looked fine i felt like my limbs were being sawn off most of the time. I totally get it, being able to USE you hand is incredible.

Thanks for that traingeekboy, yes it is unusual when people just say 'oh stop moaning and get on with it'.

Just had a look at the Peco website and the loco lift and storage cradles are 12 pound 55p and although the DCC Concept ones are around 30 pounds, I think they are better value for money. With the Peco ones if you factor in the fact that you have to assemble them, which would include an adhesive and time and that they DON'T double as a servicing cradle as well and that you need to buy the Peco foam servicing cradle as well for 5 pounds. But you still need to handle your precious models and risk damaging them as you transfer and invert them. I'm going to buy one DCC Concepts storage and maintenance box as it also comes with a top cover and I'll let you know what I think.

It seems that all my British steam locos will fit into the 14.1" box, which is the cheapest and locos like my pannier tanks may fit two locos to one box.

Roy.

Can you post a link to the site, I'd love to see them. It seems like a good cure for having to move stock in and out of the house,particularly locos. I have all this stuff in very old original boxes it would be handy to store in ready to use cases and then just store the old boxes somewhere else.

I've just bought a model steam rail motor today. The prototype is under restoration in South Australia. When restored it will run on the preserved Pichi Richi Railway which is a preserved length of the old Ghan 3'6" gauge line which ran to Alice Springs. It used to take absolute ages to get to the Alice in the old days and there was a story of a lady who was in an advanced state of pregnancy who kept asking the guard when the train would arrive at Alice Springs. The guard said 'you shouldn't have got on the train in that condition' to which the lady replied ' I wasn't in this condition when I got on the train'. :lol:

The loco was built by Kitson and Company in Leeds and the teak coach was built by the Metropolitan Amalgamated Carriage and Wagon Company in Birmingham. The loco is permanently coupled to the coach and is a 2-2-0WT. As the loco was built in Yorkshire it really is a little ditty. The model cost me $325.

Edited by Guest

Well you can get one and it's scale is On30 or 1:48 or 7mm narrow gauge. It runs on HO scale track. It does need to be weathered as it has a sort of Disneyland appearance. There are two types available, one has the flat rear to the coach and the other has a drivers compartment. I bought mine from Woodpecker Model Railways. It has an 8 pin DCC socket and a speaker housing if you wish to fit DCC sound. There is also interior lighting.

A manufacturers link would be cool. I know I can google it up myself, but if you're going to mention something you may as well link it too. :)

I've been considering having an N scale line on my outside layout as a tester. My local store has some Hon2.5 that runs on N scale track. It's like little ore trams. kind of neat little things. Seeing this video made me consider adding a small mine tram to my layout as just a little point to point line. Who knows i may get the urge to scratch build after all.