Mick's Drivel

mick

mick said:

Why is it that when you find you've got lots of time to do something you don't get anything done? I've had a completely free day today but I've done nothing and I feel bad about it. I became distracted with something of minor importance and by the time I realised...well, the time had all but gone.

i do the same thing. I actually got to the grocery today and bought food. That's it, the rest was screwing around.

Did what we had to do today and then I climbed up into the attic for a look around. It's draughty, it's dusty, but it's got potential. Needs boarding out before I can safely access all corners without fear of ending up in a room below but at least the rafters are nice and solid and at 6in deep they should take some floor boarding just fine. The length of the attic should be great for watching some long trains and it'll allow me plenty of on-track storage space. We have some planned alterations to the bungalow which involves removing a section of interior wall and altering light fitments so I'll not be making a start in the attic until that's completed but I'm currently sourcing some decent floorboards/sheets in readiness. I've managed to salvage a lot of chipboard sheeting from some old dismantled wardrobe fitments which will make suitable baseboards for the track and there's still several more wardrobe fitments to be dismantled before they are replaced. That's an ample supply for my needs.

The 8 BZA steel wagons I obtained a couple of weeks back have now increased to 12 and they have been joined by a new (and very blue) Class 60 diesel loco. I haven't yet decided on the number of steel wagons I'd like to get as despite of the number of times I actually saw them I'm not sure just how many wagons normally made up a complete train. I'm sure it was more than 12 so I'll just keep going for now.

I don't know if I would go the chip board route. It's just not a reliable material. What it is is cheap glued together stuff. Unless by chip board you mean particle board like what we call MDF. With the chip board what I see is a lot of warping, much more than with ply, but if you really support it it shouldn't be a problem then.

Your best bet is to get in the car and go for a drive with a specific view toward finding materials. Even single boards in someones trash add up and the less your spend on baseboards the more you have left for locos. ;)

Wish you guys lived near me. My neighbor does home remodelling out of his garage. The alley dumpster always has something. Then a block from me I have wood working shop. It's just not hard for me to find wood for baseboards.

traingeekboy said:

I don't know if I would go the chip board route. It's just not a reliable material. What it is is cheap glued together stuff. Unless by chip board you mean particle board like what we call MDF. With the chip board what I see is a lot of warping, much more than with ply, but if you really support it it shouldn't be a problem then.

I'm not keen on chipboard as a material but it will be fine for the track baseboards in the attic. As it's salvaged from old wardrobes it's covered on both sides and most edges with a melamine type plastic coating. It will of course be well braced with softwood timber to prevent any sagging.

A few people have mentioned sundela board which I believe is a form of reconstituted paper. It seems a little soft and rather expensive. I guess it is great sound deadening, I always thought some type of cork matting would be needed if building on chipboard. I a long way off starting on a layout in my loft but keep thinking what I can do there. Already boarded out, I'd have a decent amount of space but would need a lift out section due to where the loft ladder is placed. One other area of concern for me are the bats!

Geeezzz.. I hope I don't encounter any bats.

I'm looking to get the central area of my loft boarded out pretty soon but first I've got a proper access ladder to fit. Once there's some decent flooring down I can start using the salvaged chipboard sheets to construct some baseboards for the track. I'm looking forward to doing it so that I can get some rolling stock taken out of their boxes and have somewhere to store them in complete rakes. I have a feeling that the attic will be less work than a smaller run round the garden.

I've never used Sundeala before and it's not very often that you hear of people using it these days. I wouldn't know where to get it from or how much it cost, but I suspect it won't be widely available and will probably be more expensive than plywood or chipboard. Chipboard does resoante a fair bit, especially where there's insufficient bracing, but some kind of underlay shold help with that.

I've braved the gusty winds today and been out in the garden planting a collection of perennial plants in the borders. I haven't much idea when it comes to plants but I did go online first to get an idea of what size each species grows to so I could plant them in suitable positions. Only time will tell whether or not they actually grow and if indeed they're in the right spot to do so.

Just been looking at your shots of the "Cambrian Coast Express" (September 2010). They remind me of my time at primary school, where the view from every classroom window was across the playing field, at the far end of which was a railway embankment. I still have a clear picture in my head of the express going past, with brown & cream coaches and a shining "Manor".

The summary on one of my school reports from that era said "If Ian gave more attention to his work and less to the passing trains, he could do well." Perhaps it's fortunate that it was the Cambrian line, with not too many trains, and not the west coast main line!

fungus said:

Just been looking at your shots of the "Cambrian Coast Express" (September 2010). They remind me of my time at primary school, where the view from every classroom window was across the playing field, at the far end of which was a railway embankment. I still have a clear picture in my head of the express going past, with brown & cream coaches and a shining "Manor"...

The Cambrian Coast video contained some of my most satisfying footage but sadly I no longer have those two loco's although I have retained the coaches that came with the set. I'm not sure if it's the colour of the coaches that compliments the green of the two loco's or whether the weather and lighting conditions were just right but I was pleased with how the footage turned out. It may be gone but at least the video is a permanent record.

I've been outdoors again today clearing away more rubbish and thinning more of the plants in the borders. It's looking much tidier now although it is also looking rather bare! There are a couple of old tree stumps at the bottom of the garden that need getting out of the ground and I've managed to extract one of them.

I haven't yet decided on what type of new shed I would like and in fact I've even been toying with the idea of keeping the very old one as it would just be for the railway and cutting entrance holes in either end wouldn't be such a big deal. Another plastic shed, similar to the one I already have, is expensive and I wouldn't wish to cut holes in the sides of one of those.

With a delivery charge of £27 it would make sense for me to order all the timber required for the outdoor layout as well as that for laying a floor up in the attic. I've been costing that lot up today :shock: I keep telling myself that once it's done it'll be done for good, but it's still a heck of a price to pay.

Over the past year or so I've noticed a gradual decline in my ability to see properly. I've commented on it before but I guess that it's something most people go through as they get older. Having recently been to the opticians for a biennial exaamination and new glasses I've been told that I need to go to the hospital for further checks. Hopefully it'll be routine and nothing too serious - waiting for an appointment now. Better get cracking with the layout whilst I can still see to do it!

My father is 77 and will now require cataract surgery. They say it fixes ones eye and that glasses are no longer required. You may just need something like that.

I've heard of blind model railroaders who do everything by feel. I suspect I would become a big fan of sound decoders if I lost my sight. i don't know how old you are, but at 48 I must not be too far behind you on the eye sight schedule. When I turned 40 it was like I needed bifocals overnight. I opted for simply taking off my glass for close up work, i'm much to vain for bifocals just yet.

traingeekboy said:

.. i don't know how old you are, but at 48 I must not be too far behind you on the eye sight schedule...

I'm 4 years ahead of you but it's those last 4 years where my difficulties have been most noticeable. I get frustrated by not being able to see clearly which isn't helped by forgetting to take off my glasses when they're not required. There are times where I find myself walking round in my reading glasses wondering why I'm feeling so light headed!

We have been concentrating on arranging for necessary work to be done in the house and although it's close to Xmas, at least arrangements have now been made for work to start in the New Year. It's going to be a busy time - and a messy one no doubt. There are windows to remove and replace, holes to be cut and so on.

Bought our Xmas tree today and it was exactly 34 times more expensive than the one we managed to get last year! It's supposed to be a pot grown tree that should continue growing after the festive season. I placed the potted tree on the patio when we got home and the wind promptly blew it over. Due to the forecast for more severe gales tomorrow it's now been placed in a sheltered position at the bottom of the garden until a later date when it will be adorned with some coloured lights.

I've been thinking of replacing the old wooden garden shed with one a few feet longer in length. The original one is 8ft x 6ft and I was considering going for a 12ft x 6ft model to give me suffient room along each side to hold a full length rake of coaches. Now I'm wondering if I shouldn't go the whole distance and get one 16ft x 8ft while I have the chance... Expensive, but in the long run I might just be glad I did.

We escaped the worst of it Roy, in fact we had it slightly better than the forecasters warned. That wasn't the case further north and into Scotland as you have obvously seen. The highest gust I recorded in my garden was 39.6 mph - only a wee baby!

A veggie plot ! I'd forgotten all about that. There's so much to do already, both inside and outside the house, that I don't see a veggie plot being on the agenda for the coming year. I will however, be growing potatoes again next year as I've already ordered the seed potatoes and I've brought all my barrels and tubs along from our previous house. Likewise, at this time a greenhouse is also out of the question - at least for the time being until everything else is sorted.

This evening I've been swapping computers around and now have my own pc back in use and a spare one set up to collect the weather data and upload it to the various websites. Feels like we're getting back to normal.

Took delivery of my first 2 Gresley teak suburban coaches today and they look very nice indeed. I sometimes feel Hornby have lost their way with regards to locomotives and wagons but I'll say one thing for them - they really do know how to make some delightful coaches.

I've now got a nice collection of new models that I'm waiting to photograph.

Nice deal on the teaks. I have a craving for some of those myself. Just keeping an eye out for a deal on ebay to come along.

Argh computers. My ipod touch decided it was going to be swedish. Had a devil of a time sorting it out. But I finally got ubuntu on my pc Laptop and that is going to be wonderful.

Ok gotta get up at 5 am, time to go night night here. Veggie patch mick, it's important! :)

traingeekboy said:

Nice deal on the teaks. I have a craving for some of those myself. Just keeping an eye out for a deal on ebay to come along...

I've just been having a rant about Gresley teak coaches, specifically the 61ft 6ins corridor stock as opposed to the recently released non-corridors. I mentioned somewhere, perhaps in this thread - maybe another, about the cost of some individual corridor coaches being listed at £54 at one of the UKs biggest model retailers. That's full Hornby RRP. The ones in question being the 3rd class Corridors, which are admittedly the most in demand of the bunch. I find the current selling price hard to justify to say the least. Luckily I bought my rake at a much more realistic price when I used to peruse the eBay ads.

Mentioning eBay, I haven't even visited the site since I terminated my account some weeks ago. I've got by just fine without it and probably saved myself a whole lot of cash and grief. Nor have I missed Paypal which just goes to prove that there is a life without them - something I would have found hard to believe a few weeks back.

I finally got my PC up on a desk today after using it on a low table whilst squatting on the floor since I moved in here. I couldn't have stood the discomfort much longer. It feels great being able to sit down at a table whilst typing away again and hopefuly the pains I have endured in my sides and legs will now disappear.

After you mentioned them I went and looked around for some teaks, oh my god. they want almost the price of a jinty for some of those. Maybe i'm cheap but i have to agree on the new prices being ridiculous. Who's paying those prices?

It used to be one could buy some shake the box screw driver kits here in the usa and build a nice passenger train. It's the same thing over here now, everything new is expensive. I actually do not believe there is a reason for this cost hike. Molding technology has come up since the old days. It just isn't as labour intensive to build a mold as it was.

Good to hear about the Pc. I got my Laptop up and running so I am mobile now as well.

Mick

You mention the cost of the Gresley Corridor 3rds and sound surprised as they are probably the most in-demand of all the types. This is very similar to the crazy market that has now developed with MK2 A and D TSO(Tourist Standard/Second Open) coaches from Bachmann and Hornby. Seemingly limited availability nowadays, unless you are willing to pay £30 - £40 per coach. Yes, you would think the manufacturers would produce more of these vehicles, knowing we are going to want many more of them, but oh no, it seems as though they produce the same number or fewer, than the 1st class, brake and catering vehicles that we probaly only want 1 or 2 of at most (hence why ebay is awash with them). Ridiculous.

The Mk2 coaches are prime examples of this crazy pricing structure. You can pick the first class/brakes/restaurant/composites etc.. up brand new for around £12 or so and yet you can't get hold of the standard open coaches for love nor money. I know the RTR manufacturers aren't dictating the inflated prices seen on auction sites such as eBay for example, but it just seems like they've got their figures wrong when it comes down to working out the quantities to produce. The Mk3 coaches are a similar point - where are the open seconds?

Inflated prices for scarce or rare items are common place on eBay - something we've all come to expect - but it appears that what goes on there is noticed in other quarters which is probably the reason why the 3rd class teaks are currently being sold at full RRP through the Hattons website. There again, does anyone think that this will deter people from purchasing more than they actually require, specifically those who purchase with the sole intention to resell at a higher price?

Whatever the pros and cons of some of the prices I've seen advertised recently, I really do not think that a plastic coach can be worth an insane £54 and that's what it's all about in the end.

Love them or loathe them, the small number of adverts on the forum help to finance the website so that it doesn't cost me the earth to keep it going but there's one niggling little thing that's started bothering me recently.

I've mentioned the fact that I'm looking to replace the old wooden garden shed with one that's larger and for the past few weeks I've had my eye one on I would like but it's recently increased in price. I was thinking of ordering before Xmas but the price increase has put me off a bit, and so I'm now going to wait until the New Year in the hope that they start offering some kind of discount. What's bothering me is the fact that Google know that I'm intersted in that particular garden shed!

Now whenever I visit the forum I'm presented with an advert depicting the shed along with the words 'We know you've been looking at our sheds....." just tempting me to go back again!

Adverts have clearly come a long way, so much so that Google now even remembers exactly what you've been looking at and presents you with a selection of relevant adverts. That's perfectly okay with me providing I don't want to keep a secret of what I've been looking at! Just imagine the consequences of "We know you've been looking at our......??!" when you're viewing something online with your wife or partner for instance!

Do you have any stories regarding any of the adverts you've been presented with?