Mick's Drivel

mick

• 1 month later...
On 12/09/2022 at 20:54, Andrew said:

Congratulations Mick, to you and your lady wife.  I hope you'll have many years of happiness ahead of you.  Very best wishes to you both.

Thank you Andrew. I'm hoping there'll be quite a few years ahead yet!!

Anyway, so much for having more time to spend on the layouts now that we no longer have a caravan! I haven't done a thing on the outdoor railway and barely set foot up in the attic since we got 'George' and we seem to be devoting most of our time to getting out with him. Now, instead of getting up in a morning at any random time we're now in a routine of rising just after 6am and getting ready to take George out for a morning walk. It's been really nice I have to admit and we are so glad we made the decision to get another dog. The house hasn't been the same since we got him as there's now toys and other doggie related stuff all over the place but that's a small price to pay for the enjoyment they give. In time I'm sure things will settle down and we'll be able to get back to doing other things again. Neither of us are in any particular hurry at the moment because we're just enjoying being outdoors a lot more visiting local places that we'd always tended to overlook.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Little has changed since my previous post back in early November. We're still enjoying getting out and about with George visiting local country parks and nature reserves, most on our doorstep and which we'd never visited before. We do miss being up in the Dales and walking along the Leeds & Liverpool canal but we have no doubt that we made the right decision to sell the caravan and not have to worry about it especially given the weather we've experienced over the past couple of weeks along with the extreme cold.

I've not really kept up to date with what's been happening in the model railway world until a couple of days ago. It appears I can no longer access RMWeb without disabling my ad blocker so I've now deleted the bookmark from my browser and will get by without. I see there's a number of new models on the horizon from Accurascale and 12 months ago I would have been seriously tempted to pop an order in but I no longer have the same desire to obtain everything new that comes onto the market, though I have to admit that the 50's do look very nice! I'm also reminded of the number of new models I would have added to my collection by now had I not cancelled all my pre-orders for Deltic's, class 37's, and Caledonian Sleepers. No, I have no regrets about doing so.  I just recall some of the many disappointments I've experienced with very expensive models in the past and feel extremely relieved to have kept money in pockets. 

I replied to a recent comment on YouTube that I might attempt to do some running outdoors (that's on Worsley Dale...I'm not about to start jogging) when we get a bit of snow but I wasn't ready and fully prepared last week when we did in fact get a sprinkling. I also hadn't fully appreciated just how cold it can actually get as you yourself get older and so on this occasion I had to give it a miss but maybe next time....

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 23/01/2023 at 23:59, Clay Mills Junction said:

I don't know that RMWeb is too much of a loss. 😂 ....

Probably not. I've certainly not missed my occasional visits but I would imagine I'm no great loss to them either as I never had anything to contribute myself that isn't already on here.

• 1 month later...

We've just had a week on the west coast of Scotland heading up there last Friday when several roads along the way to the Scottish border were closed due to the overnight snow. In fact when we got up on the Friday morning we weren't sure whether we'd be going or not given the news reports but we're so glad we decided to ignore the warnings and get on our way because there wasn't a problem at all, other than having to divert away from the 'closed' A66.

We had a nice quiet week, using the car only occasionally during our stay. There was further snow while we were up there which was really nice to see and experience, though it didn't last too long and by the end of the week it had all disappeared from most of the tops across on Skye.

I had high hopes of seeing a lot of wildlife but unfortunately it was disappointing on that score and apart from a group of Eider ducks shortly after leaving Oban and an otter on our first full day at Glenelg there wasn't much to interest the camera. But never mind, it wasn't a holiday solely for photography or even for trains, it was just about enjoying the area and you should have seen the look on George's face when we took him onto the beach for the first time.

The drive home took us 9 hours with just a couple of short breaks along the way and it's extremely tiring but well worth it to be able to spend some time in that area. The last time we were there would have been 2010 so it's been a long time coming, however, next time we'll be trying somewhere just a little closer to the border.

• 1 month later...

Last week we decided at short notice to book a few days away in Gargrave so we could revisit our walks along the Leeds & Liverpool canal. Fortunately we picked a decent week weatherwise and had an enjoyable time, though there was no sign of the Barn Owls we discovered last year. I think vacation-wise that will be it for a while now as I really want to get some things done at home.

Next month will be George's first birthday and I've not really mentioned him that much recently so I'll include a recent photo taken a couple of days ago while we were out on a walk along the river Dearne. The river bank was covered in Dandelions so I just waited for him to settle among them.

1PN42556.thumb.jpg.e4aee23a9629865dc5dd10957955b761.jpg

• Like 2