Hornby Toy Story 3 Set

Dave

I've been watching the price fall on the Hornby Toy Story 3 train set for a while, as I thought it would be fun for the kids. Well, I noticed this morning it had been reduced again to £26.90 on Amazon together with free postage http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hornby-R1149-Disney-Story-Electric/dp/B003FGWHO8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1320846971&sr=8-1 (I guess they're not selling that well) and I finally caved in and ordered one.

I know its a bit wacky, but its my layout and I'll run what I want - as most of us seem to keep telling ourselves!! :)

I think it looks fun. Let us know how it runs. I bet a little weathering and it could be a really nice looking train. It's stuff like this that is very interesting to me as I really like the 4-4-0 Americans. Bachmann makes one with sound but it's over 350.00$ That's over half of a months house payment for me.

I want pictures of yours, or better yet a video to see it running.

Looks like you're about to drift into USA profile; watch out! he he he I suppose next up will be a Santa fe F unit in warbonnet paint with a string of coaches.

(I'm a horrible influence) :lol:

Good job!

Dave said:

I've been watching the price fall on the Hornby Toy Story 3 train set for a while

Me too. I've seen it in ModelZone with the price dropping. Currently its at £35 so Amazon is in the lead.

Let me know what it's like and how out of gauge it is. I've got tunnel mouths that will cause problems :!:

PS. Can't see a DCC ready logo on it ;)

I had to see if it was available in the USA, so far all I find is UK links and with shipping it's no longer reasonable.

Here's a guy opening it up and running it. I skipped to the running part since it's 12 mins long.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=honrby+toy+story+train+set+oo&mid=733CB8D4DC41F063A23F733CB8D4DC41F063A23F&view=detail&FORM=VIRE5

Do you want it in original form or as a platform for a more scale model? My inclination would be to turn it into a semi scale model. As for the decoder I bet a little soldering and you could fit a decoder into it.

Sorry GeekBoy, I'm not likely to switch into American profile any time soon. Too much bare aluminum for me! ;)

I've got young kids and they like stuff like Toy Story, so I've bought it as a toy train really - it might get some weathering and is likely to be run outside, but there isn't any likelyhood of converting to anything real looking any time soon. I probably won't get to play with it until after Christmas, but I'll speak to the wife nicely once it arrives and see if I can have a quick play on the indoor layout :)

@Chris: No DCC, no. But since I'm still runing everything on good old 12V DC that is no problem for me! I'll try and at least measure it up when it arrives, so you'll know if it breaches standard loading gauge! I'm pretty sure if the figures are attached to the rolling stock, they'll be a problem.