Danes Wood, a 00 railway in the garden.

fungus

Today I saw a Gresley P2 2-8-2 at Danes Wood, and fortunately was able to get a photograph. They are certainly very capable engines, ideal for this line with its long, steep gradients an fast schedules. I hope we will see them again.

141106-2004.JPG.9ec923e1189aae2a9c3cf1c308d8ef07.JPG

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 5 months later...

Hi Ian, WOW that is some outdoor layout, pure awesome, I have seen pics of your layout in other links, just amazing, would love to see a full length video of the whole circuit .

Most of my passing looks are 30ft long same with the single track, looking at extending the layout to go around the garden shed, will give another single track with another single track spiral and passing loop, I like single track running especially when friends are over, will have four throttles controlled by rotary switches, until one day will switch to DCC.

Be interesting to know the size of the trannie you are using, I have two 6amp trannies split for two throttles on block wiring.

Have you finished the work on the tree root issue.

I love the diesel shunter pic, what class loco is it, is it a Hornby, I am looking at modifying a FP45 to a fit in a camera and and a whole new shell, like the cab of that loco in quarry pic instead of having a camera on a wagon in front of a loco, powered camera wagon. :D;)

That green steamie my friend has one of them, Gresley P2 2-8-2 did a video, will dig it out and put the link on you next post, nice looking loco.

Happy modelling form down under , Tony

• 2 weeks later...

Hi fungus, neat little shunter just under4 inches, how many wagons can it pull, have seen some pics of it shunting four coaches.

Not far now running the first test loco on half of my layout, ready to paint two modules and 5 curved sections this week and nailing track down on Friday, long time coming , video clip of the big event, hope to set up two of the station modules and some of the big bridge on the back of the layout, winter just around the corner, having a new air-con fitted in the lounge room today.

how is your layout going have you go a full circuit, awesome layout.

Happy modelling from down under, Tony

• 3 weeks later...

I am having trouble with Magpies. One of them seems to have taken exception to the scenic additions in one corner of the layout - fences, hedges, dry stone walls and telegraph poles (visible in the photo in 17th April post above). I regularly find that they have been torn up or damaged, and a few weeks ago I caught the Magpie red-handed! How do I repel Magpies? I will try hanging a few CDs over the area and see if that spooks them.

Maybe you need to start distracting the magpie with something else. We've had several bird issues on here. If I had a similar issue I would opt for some kind of behavior control.

I can't remember who it was had the bird that liked to attack moving trains. Not sure how you can make a distraction for that as birds do like to play, especially the more intelligent varieties.

Magpies are nasty. They ate the egg's out of a birds nest at my parents this year, and I know they will be interested in my cherry tree soon. Apparently any deterrent you put up needs moving or changing weekly as they will learn its not a real threat in a week. I just read they move shiny things out of fear/ curiosity, so maybe once they poke at it all they will leave it? Tough problem, so good luck!

• 7 months later...

I note that I haven't logged on since May. I've done a lot of work on the railway since then, mainly modifications to improve reliability and reduce maintenance. I also now have sidings and crossovers outside the barn.

The other major project since the railway was put into hibernation is construction of a 1/24 scale canal in the garden. This doesn't really fit into the scope of the 00 garden railways forum, but as it shares a corner of the garden with a 00 garden railway, I'll give a brief history.

When I was a student, I built 1/24 scale model of a canal narrow boat. For the next 47 years, it didn't receive much attention, but recently I decided to refurbish it and fit radio control. The question then was, where to run it. The bath is too small, and it doesn't look right on a pond or boating lake. So the obvious solution was to build a canal in the garden.

151104-0004.JPG

151224-6717.JPG

fungus said:

I note that I haven't logged on since May...

Yeah..we've missed you Ian! Great to hear from you again. Looking forward to seeing photo's of the progress you've made outside the barn.

The canal sounds an interesting addition even if it is slightly out of scale with the layout. In a way I suppose it can add an element of perspective to the whole scene - certainly from the photo's the railway in the background seems more distant. I'm not aware of a 1/24 scale forum for garden canals but you're always welcome to start a new thread here should you wish. How on earth you're going to construct a series of locks I don't know. I take it you intend to make them operational?

I think the only thing with water is that generally it doesn't scale too well. I thought about creating a river beneath the girder bridges on my viaduct but it's almost impossible to recreate the effect of a gushing river in 1/76 scale so I'm sticking with a dry river bed for now. With a canal lock I always picture the water escaping through the gaps in the lock doors and spilling into the lower level.

The canal sounds an interesting addition even if it is slightly out of scale with the layout. In a away I suppose it can add an element of perspective to the whole scene -

Hi Fungus glad to see you back, merry Christmas and happy new year, will have to agree with Mick with modelling the canal in a bigger scale will give the scene a lot of death like in 3/D movies with the trains being a smaller scale.

I found a you tube link on a bloke testing a model of a lock, I did see one forum but it only had one page of a bloke asking how to model working locks, great you have another interest.

Tony from down under.

That's a great video Tony. Hope it's something Fungus hasn't seen yet because it's bound to give him a lot of encouragement. It looks brilliant. Maybe we should all have a working canal alongside our layouts?

Ian, that lock gate in your photo, is it commercially available or have you built it yourself?

This is rather exciting project. I tried to add a water element into my garden layout but found it very difficult to get it to look real and not like a pond. Its turned more into a canyon then a usable water way.

I look forward to updates on the canal

Thanks for the searches. I too had seen the university project video. It looks good, but note that his hand does something behind the gates before they open, so I presume there is a mechanical catch to hold them shut. I might end up doing the same.

The gate is made on a frame of 9mm x 10mm beams made by laminating 10mm wide strips of 3mm thick high-impact polystyrene sheet.

• 1 year later...

I've just gone through this thread to reinstate missing images and so on and it's reminded me just how good this layout is. Some stunning photographs and very realistic scenery. I think it deserves to be 'featured' so you can all take another look.