My cobbled together layout

traingeekboy

Hello! 

Nice that my name idea you like.😉 

I have many trains that would fit in your layout theme ...I have several ICs from FS / Trenitalia, the TEE Mediolanum and the TEE Cisalpin from Paris to Venice, an ETR500, an ETR 450 and an ETR 480, a EurostarCity with E404 and one with E444 and a Frecciabianca with E402. In addition, an SBB ETR 610 as EC Geneve - Venezia and a Cisalpino EC carriage train Zurich - Venezia and also an ETR 220 "Rapido Rialto"  and Cars from DB, ÖBB, SZ, MAV and HZ for the international trains from Italy to Munich, Vienna, Ljubljana, Zagreb and Budapest... 😉. And not to forget a E424 in Navetta livery with a Diretto in the same livery... 

FS/Trenitalia is a one of my favourites... 

Thomas 

Thomas, all those sound great! I must appologize though, the Navetta theme would not be allowed. I just do not like it very much. ;)

I spent a couple days battling with tree stumps. the photo does them no justice. I had to dig and chop and dig and chop. They had both grown into and around the chainlink fence, so that had to go as well.

The crew is here now assembling my shed.

So much to do before I even get to build a layout.

Resized_20170612_110833.jpeg

Resized_20170612_110756.jpeg

My shed is in place. It isn't the joyous moment it should be. I put a big post about it on facebook and am cut pasting, just to save the hassle of re-writing a novel.

"What you get when you spend thousands of dollars at Lowes.

First they call to set a date for installation.

Then the installers cancel at around 10am of the set date.

Then they come a week later to build your shed. Coolio!

I must say the Installer guys were nice enough. But they are in a hurry because they have a lot of sheds to get built. It isn't their fault, no, this comes down from the top.

In the web photo of the shed they show two sides: Front and Back. What they do not tell you is that both windows are side by side on the one side. Tricky ####s. Clearly I am just stupid because I fell for this.

The pieces should have been pre painted, but when they picked up MY order, there was no paint. That was delivered on Day 2.

As my guys built my shed, they somehow ended up with extra material that they hauled away. Makes me wonder if they just used less 2x4's to build my walls and roof.

Today as they returned for round 2 of building, I peered out the kitchen window and noticed that the guy installing the shingled roof had not put in a drip edge.

Oh, they did not include that in the order when they picked up my shed. The roof is all done, I am told someone will be out to tear it all off and add both drip edge and the felt I paid for.

The hardware provided for my door lock was wrong. I am told someone will come back and install the rest of it. Right now you can pull on the handle and the doors pop open.

Well, the painting is perhaps the most interesting aspect of the entire affair.

Painters normally use caulk. Lots of jokes while saying that word on painting crews lead to oodles of fun and jubilation.

Please look at my shed and find the caulk. I thought I'd never say this, but I really haven't gotten enough caulk. I'm not satisfied and want more caulk. Please, I need inches upon inches of Caulk. I will squeel with joy when they put it in.

Lets talk about the trim a bit. Yes, look at the trim. see any oddities? Perhaps completely unpainted trim? Or, places where blue paint is smeared on white paint? I really like where the roller just goes off onto the bare wood frame, it's a nice touch that will always catch my eye. My OCD brain is doing sommersaults.

Yup. This is quality.

I have included some detail shots of the fit and finish for your entertainment. Doors do not align, so that the gap is wider at the bottom. That one nail on the trim that is just hanging out. Sure to be fun years down the road when I catch my shin on it. The way the front trim piece under the roof doesn't match up at the ends, but is expertly filled with massive amounts of Caulk! (That isn't where I want caulk, I am not satisfied.)

I guess I am a complete moron for assuming I could pay for a shed to be built and actually have it done correctly.

Thank you Lowes, Yours truly Griff the Dumbshit.

P.s. My original plan had been to buy one from Toughshed. I am almost tempted to tear this out and just get one of those."

Resized_20170613_185454.jpeg

Resized_20170613_185508.jpeg

Resized_20170613_185527.jpeg

Resized_20170613_185608.jpeg

Resized_20170613_185630.jpeg

Resized_20170613_185642.jpeg

Resized_20170613_185649.jpeg

Resized_20170613_185705.jpeg

Resized_20170613_190109.jpeg

Resized_20170613_190118.jpeg

Resized_20170613_190209.jpeg

Resized_20170613_190215.jpeg

Resized_20170613_190226.jpeg

Resized_20170613_190245.jpeg

Resized_20170613_190303.jpeg

Resized_20170613_190337.jpeg

Resized_20170613_190419.jpeg

Resized_20170613_190432.jpeg

Resized_20170613_190616.jpeg

Resized_20170613_190634.jpeg

Resized_20170613_190726.jpeg

Resized_20170613_190751.jpeg

Resized_20170613_190815.jpeg

Resized_20170613_190919.jpeg

Resized_20170613_190949.jpeg

Edited by traingeekboy

Hi Griff , good size shed, is wood  shed quite popular over there all we have is metal garden sheds need to have a slab of concrete , you save there, most of the newer shed here are swing doors like yours my shed has slide door a pain because the plastic sliders don't last. because of the hot summers. we have.

You at lucky you seam to have a flat back yard, mine isn't slops backwards, too steep for HO scale  locos would have to have two spirals to get up to the top of the back yard would be a challenge and lots of money, it is only flat around my house, even the pergola floor isn't level.

I haven't being well, getting over asthma issues and now my son is in hospital ,no progress on my layout, but I have being working on my version of Sydney Central station the last couple of nights, not modelling the frontage to scale, need at least 8feet, mine is about 5feet wide, had to cut back on windows, but by doing that she is still going to be a stunning site indeed when finished, length of the building be the same and height , has a clock tower as well.

looking forward to seeing some progress on your new layout build,, just having a main station with trough traffic be a lot of fun, how many tracks are you going to nail done in the station area, I love those island platforms and terminus platforms.

Tony from cold down under keeping on moving ahead.

Sorry you're doing poorly Tony.

My shed is sort of wood. The walls are made out of chip board. The framing is all wood. I may be tempted to insulate it so it's not too hot/not too cold. I'm going to pull aMick maneouver and put in a run through train station and yard for all my stock. I figure 12' should be abouit right for a lot of trains. ;)

Still need to get the installation issues sorted out though.

The board you called chipboard is in the UK known as Stirling board, or Oriented Strand Board and comes in several varieties. Versions OSB1 and OSB2 are for dry conditions only, OSB 3 and 4 can take humidity. For a shed I would use OSB 3, however none are waterproof, on any of them edges definately need painting, especially outside.

I do hope those wooden bearers supporting the shed are not directly on the ground, if they are, then even if they are treated wood there is a good chance you'll get rot in ten years or so...

I bought my first 20ft shed and assembled it myself, I found the quality poor poor and realised i could do better myself so the other 36ft ish I've built myself.

Decorator caulk while flexible is probably not flexible enough for a shed as the wood will age, shrink and  move.  Although OSB is more dimensionally stable than conventional wood. I used silicon sealant, much more flexible, however it doesn't take paint very well.

In the UK we can get wooden, metal or plastic sheds, metal has the problem of internal condensation due to our humid rainy climate. Plastic sheds are more expensive.

Good luck with getting your shed sorted, time to go out to mine....

• Like 1

On 12.6.2017 at 11:21 PM, traingeekboy said:

Thomas, all those sound great! I must appologize though, the Navetta theme would not be allowed. I just do not like it very much. ;)

I spent a couple days battling with tree stumps. the photo does them no justice. I had to dig and chop and dig and chop. They had both grown into and around the chainlink fence, so that had to go as well.

The crew is here now assembling my shed.

So much to do before I even get to build a layout.

Resized_20170612_110833.jpeg

Resized_20170612_110756.jpeg

Hello,

that looks like a lot of hard work. 

There are two navetta variations, I have only the red/orange/gray version, the other I also do not like. 

Thomas 

1497839319962-642323045.jpg

Edited by ThomasI

Strange expeirence. I had wirtten a long reponse and then my connection to Britain seemed to go sour. NO problem with US sites, but no forum. Then I got access again after a few minutes, but had lost my post.

Tonight I come on here and my post re-appears when I try to respond. There must be some kind of edit buffer that held all my writing.

So, here is my old post. :)

Thomas,

It's always so hard to decide. The freedom of the garden railway does lend a hand toward running the things you like nomatter what time period.

I just found a set of three Grey FS coaches for only 9.99. Shipping was a bit over the top, but with parts from other damaged trains I will liekly be aiming more for the brown and grey schemes on passenger trains.

So then there are these videos by this guy who shoots them in my two favorite stations. Well, Milan station is really cool too. But for modelling I prefer a smaller station that I may actually be able to finish making.

Here is a Taurus in OBB scheme in Italy.

And here is a Cargo AM842

And a lot of different things including a Rola in this one.

So the temptation to add even a couple modern trains becomes a little overpowering. Yet the cost of newer models tends to lead me back to the toy like and less expensive older models. SO many trains so little time and money!

On 6/18/2017 at 1:21 AM, TheQ said:

The board you called chipboard is in the UK known as Stirling board, or Oriented Strand Board and comes in several varieties. Versions OSB1 and OSB2 are for dry conditions only, OSB 3 and 4 can take humidity. For a shed I would use OSB 3, however none are waterproof, on any of them edges definately need painting, especially outside.

I do hope those wooden bearers supporting the shed are not directly on the ground, if they are, then even if they are treated wood there is a good chance you'll get rot in ten years or so...

I bought my first 20ft shed and assembled it myself, I found the quality poor poor and realised i could do better myself so the other 36ft ish I've built myself.

Decorator caulk while flexible is probably not flexible enough for a shed as the wood will age, shrink and  move.  Although OSB is more dimensionally stable than conventional wood. I used silicon sealant, much more flexible, however it doesn't take paint very well.

In the UK we can get wooden, metal or plastic sheds, metal has the problem of internal condensation due to our humid rainy climate. Plastic sheds are more expensive.

Good luck with getting your shed sorted, time to go out to mine....

There are three runners laid under the frame. They may likely rot over time. I could also get some jacks and prop it up so as to replace them with something else later.

It's hard to explain to people how dry it is here generally. Sure we get rain, but it's along the lines of 17-22 inches per year. It really is nothing compared to other places such as Britain where you get double or more per year. If you go in the mountains there are cactus here too.

I expect that my shed will last at least 15 years as warrantied. I figure that is enough time to build a new reailway!

Still waiting for the installers to come finish the job correctly now. Grrr...

Edited by traingeekboy

Hi Griff, we still use chip board over here, there has being a big swing to water proof MBF  board especially in kitchen cupboards and other furniture., here there is more steel garden sheds than wooden sheds, the first one I have see  is the lady across the road she had a wooden shed built, is the wooden sheds a lot cooler that steel..

I liked the first video, is that what you are looking at doing with h cross over on the main line, Germany has some new Electric locos, not a bad looking loco, I just bought a loco I missed out in buying when it was out, very had to come by, an Aussie diesel loco DL class Australian National uses them to double head with the Indian Pacific NR class to help get over the Blue mountains, 3000HP

Here is a video of the Indian being shunted and  got ready to depart, at the end you will see the DL class loco shunting with the NR and hooking up to the train, that train has 28plus coaches, why the train is split up and need two platforms, that is what I plan to model those platforms in stage thee of my station module complex, won't be happening till next year and funds as well, all up 9 modules with the suburban platform extension..

I have 18 of those coaches but can make up 28 using other coaches from the Sothern Aurora same coaches from Lima, can't wait but in the mean time I am building the fount set and will have 8 platforms, can still pull off the same scene in the vide link, working on the  first approach module car port end.so I can switch the first loco over to the by pass loop., temporary main line.

With this forum if you leave the post without finishing it  actually saves what you have typed the only  forum that does it , pure awesome, did you notice that Griff when you lost connection with the net I love this forum Mick has sure put a lot of work into the upgrade and has paid off..

Looking forward to seeing your track plan, going to be awesome.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead.

15 hours ago, TheQ said:

Not all parts of the UK are that wet:grin:,  I'm lucky enough to live somewhere near the east coast, where we only get about 26 inches of rain. Wood rot is still significant!!

oh, the plants I could grow in the garden with 26 inches of rain per year. *sigh*  :D:D:D  We just got a little afternoon rain storm. It's never enough to do more than hit the ground and evaporate.

Hello traingeekboy and all. 

You have probably already somewhere told, but tell me nevertheless on which place of the planet your layout is to be built.

Yes the problem with the money and the trains you want to have, everyone knows this. And I fear that my budget is already indecent. Fortunately, my better half does not know exactly ... 😉

But I can hardly resist the Italian trains. Whether Treno Azzurro, ETR 200 or Frecciarossa 1000, all solve such a "must have" reflex with me.

I seriously consider whether I'm design part of my high-speed route for left-hand traffic because of the Italians.

The bridges for this part are built in the Direttissima style anyway. Also because I consider these bridges to be very suitable for a construction method made of light-weight bricks, similar to the method already shown here from other layouts with viaducts. 

But I wait for my curves... 

Thomas 

Edited by ThomasI

5 hours ago, ThomasI said:

Hello traingeekboy and all. 

You have probably already somewhere told, but tell me nevertheless on which place of the planet your layout is to be built.

Denver Colorado USA

Yes the problem with the money and the trains you want to have, everyone knows this. And I fear that my budget is already indecent. Fortunately, my better half does not know exactly ... 😉

But I can hardly resist the Italian trains. Whether Treno Azzurro, ETR 200 or Frecciarossa 1000, all solve such a "must have" reflex with me.

I seriously consider whether I'm design part of my high-speed route for left-hand traffic because of the Italians.

The bridges for this part are built in the Direttissima style anyway. Also because I consider these bridges to be very suitable for a construction method made of light-weight bricks, similar to the method already shown here from other layouts with viaducts. 

But I wait for my curves... 

Thomas 

It's a buggy new interface and seems to hate my browser so my reply keeps getting eaten. hmmm, I will post and then edit my post.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> several tries later<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Every time I try to split the quoted text my browser freaks out. So...

I am laughing laughing laughing over the indecent budget. :D

I am ok without some of those trains, but a frecia rossa/bianca OMG! Actually I wish I could afford the sette bello by ACME, but I will never own a single ACME train.

Ask everyone else, is there anything but Left hand running? he he he

WE will have to see these curves of yours. I will watch your duscussion.

Edited by traingeekboy

The Settebello oh yes.... 

...and have you seen LE Models new ETR 231? 

I think serious about to add both of them with the already ordered Frecciarossa 1000 to my rolling stock this year.

Or maybe only the little brother of the Settebello, the ETR 250 ...

And that is incident. But it was always my childhood dream to got them all. And since about a year I can afford this dream also quite real. What I do at the moment, even if it sometimes occurs to me indecent.

Hi Griff and Thomas, have to agree Griff what your are saying about budgets, I had to wait 6 months before I could buy a add-on set that finely completed my Thaly's TGV worth the wait and in one of your posts a few posts back finely bought a  diesel loco I have being waiting to get for years, should arrive tomorrow bought with my birthday money.

My layout is on a budget as well using modules from the layout before this build which is my dream layout, will get there taking time, if I could spend a few days in a row  be up and running  now,, have a look at my thread as my curves are quite large as well, smallest on the main line is 7foot diameter, the curve coming of the north end of the  station modules 12ft half diameter, smallest cure is on the reverse loop six feet in diameter.

I am still trying to track down what our average rain fall is, no luck will keep searching but as I am typing away we just had a heavy down poor and mid June a couple of days with heavy rain had to drive home from the hospital visiting my son and frightening the traffic as well, the rain keeps Jack frost away, just heard form the weather report after the news it a cold snap coming in.

Looking forward to see more pics from construction build Thomas and  the planning of your layout Griff.

More rain tomorrow wont be able to work on the 12foot half curve be working on the first approach module carport end screwing in place hinges on the legs so the module legs will folds inside the module, drill the hols for quarter inch bolts and then be able to start painting the module , next job track laying..

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead.

• Like 1

Tony, Google is your friend-----

Brisbane's average rainfall is around 1200 mm. a year. Of course, rainfall patterns vary across the large metropolitan area. The pattern is for a dry period from April to September, which receives only around 400 mm., with a wet season from October to March getting twice as much rain- about 800 mm.

• 9 months later...

Did some gardening today and whilst pulling weeds I kept glancing at what remains of the original Garden Railway. I even looked at some of my old videos and recalled how fun it was.

The dream shed has become the overloaded inherited junk shed. It's not even a decent work shed right now as it's just full of boxes and crap.

Being some what pragmatic I am beginning to eye the old layout to see what can be done to bring it back to operating condition. Of course, this would require some serious alley and side street exploration for lumber to be used in repairs.

I suppose part of my interest in a rebuild is that I have had several people walk by and comment positively on the layout. I suppose in this age of cell phones that are basically tethers to the internet and other time sucking gadgets, people are intrigued by actual real objects that require time and take up space. 

More to come.

Edited by traingeekboy

Come on Griff - Do it! Lets see some of the pioneering railways of this forum back up and running!!

Seems to have got a bit stagnated on here lately.

Anything I do gets filmed for YouTube and, ashamedly, I tend not to put every link up on here 9_9