DC Electronics outdoors

barney

Hi Guys,

I am completly new to this except for having had an electric railway set as a kid.

I am curious as to how external tracks are powered? Is is simply 12vDC as per a normal indoor set? Is this affected to any great extent by rain?

I have thought of R/C controlling trains as I have many R/C models as it is and so am familiar with how to do this but to be honest I am impatient and hate to have to charge models.... :evil:

I will be doing this over quite some time I imagine as I am not exactly rolling in it these days But I like a challenge and have good engineering / electrical skills and so plan on making as much as possible myself to keep the budget down.

Any advice is appreciated,

Cheers - Barney

Barney

Versions 1 & 2 of my railway were both battery powered, radio control, with the batteries being carried by the trains/locos. This was ok for larger scales like O gauge and G scale, but when I moved onto OO gauge, I used DCC with a normal 12v supply. The annoying thing with using batteries was I wasnt disciplined enough to always have batteries available and charged when I had the opportunity to run. My layout is now set up so that I just take the controller and transformer outside when I want to run trains, fed from an extension lead which is connected to the electricity supply in my shed (obviously using a residual circuit breaker at source). As this is a fair weather hobby, I have never considered running trains when its raining ;) As I dont have any electrified points or lighting (as yet) I cant really comment on that, but I am sure there are plenty of other people here who can point you in the right direction if you want that sort of thing.

Iain

Hi Barney,

As long as you don't operate outdoors in torrential rain in OO gauge, you won't have a problem, it's exactly the same as indoors. Except:

• Make sure your track is never going to be submerged by a rain stormPoints should be kept to a minimum, and require careful maintenance because of the spring action
  • Any electrics for accessories should be fully insulated and watertight, so lighting, signals, point motors etc

And you absolutely HAVE to make sure there's a circuit breaker by the main electrics - to protect both your house electrics and the delicate electrics of the railway and stock

Hope that helps, no doubt i've missed something that others will mention!

Barry