Hornby/NRM Flying Scotsman

mick

The online store at the National Railway Museum website has details of 2 forthcoming models of the recently restored Flying Scotsman.

Item code: 311205 depicts Flying Scotsman in LNER apple green livery with a double chimney and with smoke deflectors. This limited edition of 1000 models is DCC ready and comes complete with a limited edition certificate. Available for pre-order with delivery in October 2011.

NOTE: The above details been amended to include the fact that the NRM website now states that the green version will be depicted with smoke deflectors.

Item code: 311199 depicts Flying Scotsman as it was recently unveiled in LNER wartime black livery with a double chimney and without smoke deflectors. This limited edition of 500 models is DCC ready and comes complete with a limited edition certificate. Available for pre-order with delivery in October 2011.

Both models are priced at £146

It should be noted that the images on the NRM website are for illustration purposes only and show both models with smoke deflectors

Full details can be found on the National Railway Museum website

Believe it or not I don't have a 'Flying Scotsman' in my collection at the present time. I would like to have the Hornby R2441 NRM version with double chimney but eBay's the only likely source now and I'd really prefer one that doesn't give rise to any major ongoing problems.

I captured Flying Scotsman on an excursion at Milford Sidings on 3rd June 2000. Here she is in LNER lined green with double chimney and smoke deflectors (my preferred choice) departing the down loop at 12:18pm

scot1.jpg

I'm not sure where my original photos are now (several computers and 11 years have elapsed since then) but here's a variation of the above photograph where I used Photoshop to remove the signal and turn the photo into a canvas

DCP_1106ret.jpg

When Pete Waterman owned Flying Scotsman he repainted it into BR green because he said it was never in LNER apple green in it's present condition. He also said that he got an avalanche of hate mail and that people spat at him an accused him of "nicking" the real 4472 and substituting it with an impostor. He also said he received the worst hate mail from vicars. Such were the joys of owning 4472. I think people should feel lucky he didn't paint it into Porterbrook leasing purple.

Roy.

• 1 month later...

I note from the National Railway Museum website that item no: 311205, 4472 Flying Scotsman in LNER apple green livery, is now advertised as featuring smoke deflectors and my original post has been amended accordingly.

• 3 months later...

Okay, seeing as I no longer have my Paypal or eBay accounts and should therefore not spend quite so much, I've relented and ordered the green liveried Flying Scotsman from the National Railway Museum. I do feel it's somewhat overpriced but I feel better in the knowledge that my cash might go some way to getting her up and running on the mainline again sometime soon.