Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
admin

Website Problems Again!

8 posts in this topic

I apologise to those of you who have been unable to access the website over the past two or three days. This has been due to a software upgrade which, for some reason unknown to either our web hosts or the software authors, doesn't want to install correctly.

I really thought that by opting for a paid software solution that all these pesky troubles would be behind us but apparently not. I thought that by using a paid hosting solution that we might be problem free but apparently not. The combined knowledge of our web hosts and software authors, neither of which come cheaply, is unable to locate the problem and so it looks like I'm left to find another solution.

I've asked that the forum software be reverted to our previous version, which it has, but it seems even that hasn't been accomplished successfully. I can see errors generated in the admin section which may reveal themselves on the front end viewing side so please accept my apologies while I attempt to correct everything, although it may be some time before I can do that.

Currently away from home I have no access to my backup files, hence the need to ask IP Board to reinstall version 4.1.19.4 after the failed automatic upgrade to version 4.2.

Hopefully we'll be in full working order again soon.

I would like it to go on record that I'm sick and tired of paying for goods/products/services that simply aren't up to the task or that don't deliver. I could write a book about the number of hours of my time I have wasted trying to sort something out that should never have happened in the first place.

Just bought a used car - a Mercedes but nothing really special about it - just a standard diesel engine. You'd expect Mercedes Benz above most others to be at the top of their game but you'd never believe the trouble I've had trying to get confirmation of its service history (nothing at all came with it - not even the correct manual) or even confirmation of the fact that it had been serviced within the past two years. And it was a 'Manufacturer Approved' used car from a Mercedes dealership. I see Mercedes in a different light now - in fact I was rooting for Vettel & Raikonnen at the weekend!

Sorry about that but I'm on holiday and just spent a whole day communicating with two companies whilst trying to sort out the website.......

This could take some time. No-one seems interested in getting back to me and each party is intent on passing the buck to the other. The website is in a constant redirect loop and so am I by the look of it. 

Hi Mick. I am a Mod on another forum powered by Invision. To be truthful, it's not much more than a PITA. Yet the Free site of Proboards is virtually trouble free.

As for car dealerships, more and more are more likely to just say"Well you've got your car haven't you?"Product knowledge and Customer Care are foreign concepts to them.

Good luck Mick.

Hi Roddy

Yes, I'm tending to agree that this IP Board is a real pain. Just spent another whole day trying to get the thing updated without any luck - or assistance from either Invision or Bravenet. Invision aren't bothered because they say it isn't their problem and Bravenet are sorry that their servers don't appear to be compatible with the IP Board v.4.2 software. Not much consolation for me after having paid for the software, paid for additional support and we're only 6 months into our 12 month hosting agreement. I doubt very much that either will be willing to offer any kind of refund.

Sorry to anyone and everyone for the site being unavailable all day today. Invision put the old version software back in place for me because I'm not able to access my own backup just yet, but they haven't made a very good job of it and it's currently generating loads of errors in the admin side. 

I think it best to leave it as is for now, at least until I can restore our own backup. Then we'll need to think about moving somewhere else....again.

No additional news and still nothing sorted. I'm going to have to leave things as they are for a few days because I really can't be bothered any more. All this crouched over and utter frustration is making me ill.

For anyone reading this take note of the problems you potentially face by purchasing IP Board software. I'm sure you'll be just dandy if you opt for their 'community in the cloud' because I'm beginning to think that's what this is all about - making things as difficult as possible to self-host so you get on board the cloud.

I've already had the question "have you considered our cloud hosting?" and that was after one of my very first contacts with them. I replied I hadn't and that I was growing increasingly concerned over what I'd already spent. Not sure of the GBP cost but its $310 and look at what we've got for it! Complete and utter rubbish!

And don't forget, the reason it looks and performs like it does at the moment is because Invision Power Services Inc reinstalled it for me as I'm on holiday and unable to get to my backups. Well done to them.

Well I do believe my persistence has started to pay off.

I do understand your frustration, this is one of the reasons I pulled your ticket up to advanced support earlier today. I would like to see this issue resolved for you.

The issue is indeed that 4.2 is now detecting the X_FORWARDED_SERVER header and is using that value as the base for checking that the visitor is accessing the community from the correct URL. I will be discussing this issue with a colleague on Monday so that we can look into further possible fixes.

I'm not sure that it's going to lead to a solution but at least now, for the first time, Invision are admitting that their software has evolved, something which they have continually denied up to this point as you can read from the extracts below.

...To clarify here. The server is redirecting to a completely different domain which is in no way related to your site. This isn't something that can be controlled by the software....

...I don't think you are understanding the issue here. Your server is redirecting to a domain name which is completely unassociated with your site in any way. This can only be done by your server, or your domain. There is nothing at all that has changed in server requirements, and the problem itself is not originating from your software....

...I am unsure as to what else I can really say to you here....

...The software itself has no concept of that URL or even knows of its existance, so its not something the software itself could even possibly cause if there was an issue with it....

...We have nothing in the software that would do this unfortunately...

...As a courtesy I have reuploaded 4.1.19.4 files for you....

I do love that last one, especially after it was his failed attempt to upgrade the software that destroyed the website entirely.

Anyway, we'll just wait and see what happens.

On 8/3/2017 at 4:42 AM, admin said:

I would like it to go on record that I'm sick and tired of paying for goods/products/services that simply aren't up to the task or that don't deliver. I could write a book about the number of hours of my time I have wasted trying to sort something out that should never have happened in the first place.

My experience with modern software is that it will almost invariably will not meet the users' needs and will often have significant bugs. A sad commentary of the commercial influence on the principles of software engineering.