Flying Scotsman

aussietmrail

[Split from the Dorking Garden Railway thread]

I want to model the overnight train the Flying Scot pulled I think 16 cars all up all I need to buy is 4  maroon sleeper cars the reason I powered the water tender for, when I bought the Flying Scot she only had a  3pole motor swapped it for a 5pole and the second motor is matching motor took some time to get working with help from another member and friend .

4472 is she still running today or the other loco  that was  rebuilt take over as the Flying Scot .

Was having a lot of issues with  your post hitting the enter key to go to the next line and was deleting that line going crazy thought it was my lap top keys the problem now is when I type the next word it starts a new line and I have to hit the space bar get it back on track hopefully a one off issue .

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              

4472 The Flying Scotsman was rebuilt 2006 - 2016 and is running today, She has had the numbers:

• 1472 (to Feb 1924)
  • 4472 (Feb 1924–Jan 1946)
  • 502 (Jan–May 1946)
  • 103 (May 1946–Dec 1948)
  • 60103 (Dec 1948 on)
  • Now she is in preservation She could appear in any of the above numbers but mostly runs under 4472. At the moment she as the German Style Smoke deflectors fitted

Hi Andrew and the TheQ, great to hear 4472 is still running thought the other one was  renumbered, nice colour scheme  what my 4472 Flying Scot is looks good with the dual tenders so many running number changing over the years,, 60103 did the other loco that was rebuilt take that running number..

Heading over to my post got some pics to post .

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead.

On 7/15/2017 at 10:58 PM, aussietmrail said:

Hi Andrew and the TheQ, great to hear 4472 is still running thought the other one was  renumbered, nice colour scheme  what my 4472 Flying Scot is looks good with the dual tenders so many running number changing over the years,, 60103 did the other loco that was rebuilt take that running number..

Heading over to my post got some pics to post .

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead.

Tony----https://www.a1steam.com

HI Andrew and Roddy, , nice lot of pics in black and white Andrew, we are so lucky today with the technology from black and white to colour and now digital no film, my first camera was a black and white one.

On a high I saw a doco on SBS last night and was on rebuilding the famous Flying Scot 4472, being at it for 10 years, sadly I fell asleep watching it will watch it again on SBS on Demand today, yes she is back on the rails two of them different running numbers.

Big question did the loco that has 60103 was it the sister loco  to the Flying Scot the other one that was rebuilt be the that doubled headed with 4472 when she visited Australia 1988 in WA  was she bought and shipped back to England what I heard, found the  the loco name in question Pendennis Castle,.

Tony from down under keeping on moving ahead

60103 is the last number the 4472 Flying Scotsman carried. She has carried many numbers over the years as she went Great Northern ownership to LNER ownership to British Rail ownership. there were a couple of interim changes over the years as well just 'cos they felt like it..

Pendennis Castle was shipped to AUS in 1977 and returned to the UK in 2000, her number was 4079 and as far as I'm aware never changed her number, She did run with the Flying Scotsman in Australia on the 17th Sept 1989.

Edited by TheQ

Afternoon Andrew and The Q,, thanks for the info was disappointed when she pulled out of the work shop with 60103 running number, didn't know  now she had that number in the past, can add some more info  on Penndenis Castle 4079 Rio Tinto bought  her in 77 as you said crazy shipped her out did do some tours , but was locked after that till before 4472 arrived for the 1988 celebrations they did her up, Yes  4079 was waiting at East Perth terminal when 4472  pulled in what a site that would of being site  indeed I have a copy on DVD, looks like I be conning my wife to buy a module of her Hornby does one, be able to double head with  4472. and Rio Tinto donated her back to England after 2000

I wasn't into train back in 88 but when my son was in hospital I could see from the ward window good view too of 4472 pulling into Roma Street Brisbane with 3801 the platforms were packed .

I have actually got two flying Scots 4472's the second one has the dual tenders  and  the locos have different logo decals .and name board a different colour

What happens now will the Flying Scot retain 60103 or keep the famous 4472, they completely rebuilt her even replaced the cab took 10 years good doco .watched it again on SBS on demand.

Tony from cold down under.