Hello from Chester!

Stese

Hi All, 

Found the forum after a short google search. Outdoor OO/HO is something I've been interested in a long while. I was a previous 'friend' (Read as 'member') of the FLMJ (https://www.adnalm.org.uk). I've now moved too far away from this railway to be able to help, so I'm investigating the possibility of doing a similar thing myself. Where I am now, has a substantial garden, with a good area, I think for a railway. I've been toying with the idea of going either G or O gauge with it, but I just don't think I'll get the same enjoyment out of it.

I'll create a post somewhere with my plans for comment/ideas etc. I'm in the lucky position that SHMBO wants to assist with the as well. I'm also counting on help from my 3 children, as they grow older. (5years, 3years and 7wks)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I think the one thing possibly missing from an outdoor layout that's more easily achieved with an indoor layout is a group layout. I'm sure if that were possible many of us would make a lot more progress. As it is we're usually working alone with the occasional visits from friends or other enthusiasts to spur us on.  I'm not sure how successful a group type construction would be with an outdoor layout or what kind of plans would be required. I guess if there was a group of people living in close proximity to each other then there would be a way to work together.

On 06/03/2017 at 5:16 PM, Stese said:

..Where I am now, has a substantial garden, with a good area, I think for a railway. I've been toying with the idea of going either G or O gauge with it, but I just don't think I'll get the same enjoyment out of it.

If I had the option then I don't think I could rule out O gauge. I'm sure it would give you just as much enjoyment if you had the necessary space and finance and there's now an excellent choice of models to choose from. I have a few O gauge models myself and the larger size is certainly appealing.

I think I'll find OO/ gauge more enjoyable initially, as I've already got some rolling stock, loco's etc, so once track is down, I can start 'playing'. Over time, it will be the complexity of the layout I can build for the same money I'd put into O or G gauge, if you follow me.

The FLMJ, i mentioned before has worked and survived in part, thanks to the group nature of the railway. It means there is more time spent running, and less time maintaining, in theory at least. 

If someone were to be interested in building and maintaining my railway, i'd happily accept the interested help... :)

if it's dry on friday or the weekend, I'll take some photos of the area i'm planning to use.