Baker Wood Bunker

ba14eagle

Baker Wood Bunker is my new indoor layout - a micro-layout I think.

The mdf baseboard is 5ft long and ranges from 16" to 34" wide. It sits on top of a chest of drawers and a wall batten, in the bedroom :o - well, there was an unused corner!

It will portray a very small part of an internal military railway system, where standard gauge wagons unload their cargo, into narrow gauge wagons, for storage in an underground bunker / magazine.

I know of at least 2 facilities such as this, in my home county of Wiltshire - Dean Hill and Chilmark (I believe both are now closed).

This will mean a new excursion for me - into using OO9 equipment.

The following video explains a bit of what ive got planned. Since this was filmed, I have now added the insulation board base, that will allow me to create the ground levels that I require. More videos will be made as I go along and I will post more updates here.

Well, thats the first fail! The video has ended up in the middle of the text....

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of update videos to show progress.

Im now in the process of putting some edging board along the front of the layout and thinking about some method of point operation, other than my fingertips!

The problem with the point operation is the trackwork sits on 2" of insulation board. I am going to try Peco side on point motors, fixed securely to some pieces of wood, which will need to be firmly anchored in the foam.

• 11 months later...

Well, its been a while!

Ive done nothing with BWB since April, until a couple of weeks ago, when being off with the dreaded flu virus, I got really bored so started planning my next moves.

My fiance bought me some trees for the layout at Christmas, so it was about time I did something with them!

So this is where we are at.

This is the maintenance shed on the narrow gauge system

DSC_1551.thumb.JPG.918817e905a4342f4374b78754fc095a.JPG

The transfer shed

DSC_1552.thumb.JPG.98db57ee0ab4fca8da1a73615f731b64.JPG

The staff halt. The platform lamps have now been fixed!

DSC_1556.thumb.JPG.100ddb0c6040310cc279a94c79f6e0fb.JPG

Trial fit of trees on the bunker mound

DSC_1559.thumb.JPG.58585da14a312243e273a0b5f5639231.JPG

And the latest video:

All the best, Iain

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

If anyone is interested, I am looking to sell Baker Wood Bunker (- Ive finally had a fitted bedroom installed in order to tidy everything up - its only taken 6 years!). The layout will come with the power supply for the lights and an analogue controller to operate the OO9 track. You will need to find your own controller for the OO track. The OO points are wired up, but I think only 1 of these now works. There isnt any rolling stock included. Please send a PM if you are interested.